PDA

View Full Version : renewing tenancy

relebats
10-02-2010, 16:38 PM
I have a tenant who has come to the end of a 12 month agreement but who refuses to sign another one, he is still paying the rent and the letting agent has written to him telling him that the agreement has now lapsed and that if he stays and pays the rent he now is subject to a 2month notce period
This is new to me, is it normal/legal, I don't want to end up with a sitting tenant but if he is paying the rent (and keeping the house in very good order I might add) I am happy to let him stay
Any Advice
Thanks

jeffrey
10-02-2010, 16:47 PM
Is this letting in England & Wales, at a rate of rent not more than £25 000 per year? If yes and yes to those points, it's probably an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) unless any of the exclusions applies (see Schedules 1 and 2A to the Housing Act 1988). Assuming that it's an AST, there are these options when the fixed term expires:
1. T leaves. Tenancy ends.
2. T stays. You grant a new tenancy, whether fixed-term or explicitly periodic.
3. T stays. You do not grant a new tenancy. Section 5 of Act creates a statutory periodic tenancy (SPT), continuing the fixed-term's tenancy relationship. If rent was monthly in advance during fixed term, that is also the case during the SPT.

Note that you cannot force T to agree to option 2.

Lastly, your T is not a 'sitting tenant'. That expression instead means someone who holds a tenancy created by a landlord (V) who sells to P; T simply then has a new landlord but the same tenancy.

relebats
10-02-2010, 17:22 PM
Thank you Jeffrey, that is very helpful

Perplexed
10-02-2010, 17:26 PM
Tenancy renewal, eh?

That's a common ploy on the part of letting agents who are trying to squeeze unnecessary fees for unnecessary paperwork out of landlords and tenants alike.

Snorkerz
10-02-2010, 18:35 PM
he now is subject to a 2month notce period

You can serve a section 21(4)(a) notice with 2 months notice - the tenant only needs to give one.

jeffrey
10-02-2010, 18:39 PM
You can serve a section 21(4)(a) notice with 2 months notice.
It's a precise two months only if served on the precisely-selected day. A Notice under s.21(4)(a) usually has to run-on to and inc. the end of a tenancy month as well (i.e. the first such month-end after a clear two-month period from the Notice date).

Snorkerz
10-02-2010, 22:30 PM
It's a precise two months only if served on the precisely-selected day. A Notice under s.21(4)(a) usually has to run-on to and inc. the end of a tenancy month as well (i.e. the first such month-end after a clear two-month period from the Notice date).Jeffrey is (of course) correct. The point I was making is that the 2 months notice can not be imposed upon the tenant.