PDA

View Full Version : Replacements and new requests

Alleycat
07-02-2010, 19:38 PM
Hello one and all, hope the first few weeks of this year are being kind to everyone!

I have 2 quick questions regarding repair and renewal of a rented home:

1. I have had a look at a leaking kitchen sink tap and tried to fix the issue using sealant. It appears to have been a temporary solution as T has called to say its leaking again. I am happy to replace the tap if needs be (which it looks like it might need!)...would this replacement thus be an allowable/ deductible expense?

2. There are curtains in the property, but no net curtains. I have been meaning to put some up on order to increase privacy for the T etc, but she has asked if she can put up blinds instead: they are bog standard out-of-a-box blinds rather than made to measure, so I'm wondering is it going to difficult to fit these rather than net curtains, and if I fit the blinds she has bought, who pays for them to be fitted etc (I'm assuming T must remove and make good when she leaves as they are not my blinds?)

Just need some info on the LL protocol for this sort of thing!

Help/advice is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks from the AlleyCat

Snorkerz
07-02-2010, 19:59 PM
Tap should be deductable as it is maintainance.

I wouldn't supply nets (un-necessary expense) or fit he blinds. By all means allow the tenant to fit the blinds, with the proviso that the window frame is not damaged by the blind & the window is returned to its original condition at the end of the tenancy. Get this in writing.

Alleycat
07-02-2010, 20:16 PM
Tap should be deductable as it is maintainance.

I wouldn't supply nets (un-necessary expense) or fit he blinds. By all means allow the tenant to fit the blinds, with the proviso that the window frame is not damaged by the blind & the window is returned to its original condition at the end of the tenancy. Get this in writing.

Thanks for this :)

T has also requested that the tap in the bathroom sink be replaced from a 2-headed Hot - Cold set up to a mixer tap: the taps work fine by the way, T just 'prefers' a mixer tap.....is the advice the same? i.e.

L does not do this as it it is not a repair or necessary thing, provided that I as the LL get in writing from T that she will return the bathroom sink/ windows anything else she may wish to change in the property to the original state in the event of her leaving.......or would you just not let T mess around with unnecessary plumbing in the first place??!

Snorkerz
07-02-2010, 20:37 PM
Would YOU benefit from allowing this? I have, in the past, allowed tenants to make minor improvements providing they were left in-situ at the end of the tenancy AND were installed by an approved tradesman.

I certainly wouldn't replace a functioning tap at my expense - there is no logical reason to do so (and is possibly not tax-deductible as it is 'improvement' - but I'm far from a tax expert)

If tenant is willing to make such changes at her own expense, then it is perhaps a sign that she intends to stay for a while - usually a good sign.

Snorkerz
07-02-2010, 20:38 PM
I'm far from a tax expertI'm also far from a taps expert too :D

Alleycat
07-02-2010, 20:50 PM
Would YOU benefit from allowing this? I have, in the past, allowed tenants to make minor improvements providing they were left in-situ at the end of the tenancy AND were installed by an approved tradesman.

I certainly wouldn't replace a functioning tap at my expense - there is no logical reason to do so (and is possibly not tax-deductible as it is 'improvement' - but I'm far from a tax expert)

If tenant is willing to make such changes at her own expense, then it is perhaps a sign that she intends to stay for a while - usually a good sign.

I don't think I would or would NOT benefit from this tap change as in all the viewings, no potential T ever declined the property cos of the absence of a mixer tap!! ;)

T has suggested she wants to stay long-term and I agree with you that it is non-sensical for this replacement to come from me....so I will put it to her that she buys and fits a new tap and then leaves it there when she leaves and see if she still needs it....

If I am worried about her using cowboy plumbers (not on purpose!) can I get her to pay my handyman/plumber (that I use for repairs to the property anyway) but obviously just not claim that as an allowable expense as it is not a repair or maintenance etc?

I'm fast becoming an expert on tap types!

Snorkerz
07-02-2010, 22:29 PM
I don't think I would or would NOT benefit from this tap change as in all the viewings, no potential T ever declined the property cos of the absence of a mixer tap!! ;)

T has suggested she wants to stay long-term and I agree with you that it is non-sensical for this replacement to come from me....so I will put it to her that she buys and fits a new tap and then leaves it there when she leaves and see if she still needs it....

If I am worried about her using cowboy plumbers (not on purpose!) can I get her to pay my handyman/plumber (that I use for repairs to the property anyway) but obviously just not claim that as an allowable expense as it is not a repair or maintenance etc?

I'm fast becoming an expert on tap types!

It sounds awful - but you are doing the T a favour here - if she want's you to agree, then she agrees on your terms. I would certainly insist that the work is only done by a plumber approved by yourself.