PDA

View Full Version : Inventory clerk regulation/training

remyrobson
07-02-2010, 18:19 PM
Do inventory clerks have to be formally trained and then registered by a

professional body, or are they just letting agency staff who have a look round

and tick a few boxes? If they are registered, who is their professional body?

We've always used a standard template with space for comments and a

video/photos. What is the advantage of paying an independent inventory clerk?

Do they do anything different to what I would do?

Thanks

tom999
07-02-2010, 18:26 PM
Apparently there is an Association of Independent Inventory Clerks (AIIC) (http://www.theaiic.co.uk/).

If there were to be a dispute over the deposit, an independent body may be preferred (by the deposit protection schemes) over an inventory completed soley by the LL.

What?Estate
07-02-2010, 19:55 PM
tom999 is spot on, there is the AIIC however there is no legislation for inventory clerks to be join the association or to be trained to their entry level requirement. Those that do so, do it voluntarily. No doubt the industry, like ARLA membership for letting agents, will apply so much pressure for greater professionalism that as time goes on more and more companies/clerks will do it as a matter of course. The introduction of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme in 2007 caused an influx of business for inventory clerks and many agents (and in fact many people) added the service as a valuable income stream.

If there is a dispute over the deposit the dispute resolution procedure will automatically favour the tenant if there is no inventory or equivalent evidence of the condition and contents of the property at the start of the tenancy. It does not have to be independent but it should have a detailed description AND photographs. It should be agreed by both parties, allowing the party that did not create the inventory the opportunity to check and if need be, disagree with or note any discrepancies on it. By providing a check in service, this can be done at handover.

In my tenancy agreement there is a clause for the return of the inventory. It states that it will be given to the tenants for comment, they have two weeks to make their comments and send it back. If they fail to do so, it is assumed that they agree with the contents.

Finally, a detailed, well evidenced inventory/schedule of condition can take several hours to carry out and type up. We use a really good company of independent clerks and their charges are extremely reasonable. I guess it's a trade-off against how much time or cash you have available. My clients are happy to let me organise the inventory, then again, they are charged the same as I am charged (I don't take any referral fees or kick backs) and they get value for money....especially if there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy.

PaulF
07-02-2010, 22:45 PM
ARLA offers a formal course and qualification for Inventory Clerks I believe. Check with NFOPP

remyrobson
08-02-2010, 00:25 AM
It sounds like there will be a lot of unregulated cowboys out there to make a

quick buck then! It can take a long time to do an inventory so I can

understand

why LL who work or have a large portfolio find it essential. Out of interest

how much would an inventory for a 4-6 bedroom house set you back, if you don't

mind me asking? We plan to buy another house this year or next and will let our

current home, increasing our portfolio to a level where I think we'll need help.

I think that with a young family, and our 'day' jobs it might take the

pressure off a little.

Thanks for the information everyone.

What?Estate
08-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Inventory costs vary. I would think costs in London will be more expensive than other places (as is everything). Where in the country are you? Also, it will depend on whether the property is furnished.
You may want to use the Landlordzone directory to call a few inventory clerks for prices. If you're in London, I'm happy to speak to my company and ask them for the best price. If you're interested, I'll give you the name and number and will ensure they do you a good deal.

remyrobson
08-02-2010, 20:18 PM
Thanks for the offer,

I'm in south yorkshire, my properties are furnished. I've phoned a couple of places today and been quoted around £160. Does this sound about right for a 4 bed property?

Paragon
08-02-2010, 20:26 PM
Thanks for the offer,

I'm in south yorkshire, my properties are furnished. I've phoned a couple of places today and been quoted around £160. Does this sound about right for a 4 bed property?

Compared to what I pay for 2 bed flats in London, you got a deal.

remyrobson
08-02-2010, 20:33 PM
Wow, London is more expensive than I thought! What do you get for your money?

I was told it included:
-Check in inventory, typed and copies for LA, LL and T
-Photo's in a digital time stamped format
-Check out inventory, as above

If tenancy more than a year then interim checks were an option at an extra
charge (not sure how much though). Is this standard or do you get more for your ££ ?

Paragon
08-02-2010, 21:01 PM
Wow, London is more expensive than I thought! What do you get for your money?

I was told it included:
-Check in inventory, typed and copies for LA, LL and T
-Photo's in a digital time stamped format
-Check out inventory, as above

If tenancy more than a year then interim checks were an option at an extra
charge (not sure how much though). Is this standard or do you get more for your ££ ?

I get an incredibly detailed report down to every scratch on a doorknob (3 copies as you mentioned). One unfurnished 2 bed flat's report was 12 pages. No photos - probably not needed as the description is so detailed. I pay the check in. The check- out inventory is paid by the tenants and is the same amount again( Both parties are represented at the check-out so any disagreements can be noted by the clerk at the time). Clerk would act as an expert witness if required by any party.

Lawcruncher
08-02-2010, 21:38 PM
In my tenancy agreement there is a clause for the return of the inventory. It states that it will be given to the tenants for comment, they have two weeks to make their comments and send it back. If they fail to do so, it is assumed that they agree with the contents.

This does not work legally.

You should either:

Agree the inventory or schedule of condition before the tenancy starts

or

Provide that it is to be agreed, but that in the event of a failure to agree it will be settled by a third party

TenantsLuvMe
09-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Do inventory clerks have to be formally trained and then registered by a

professional body, or are they just letting agency staff who have a look round

and tick a few boxes? If they are registered, who is their professional body?

We've always used a standard template with space for comments and a

video/photos. What is the advantage of paying an independent inventory clerk?

Do they do anything different to what I would do?

Thanks

To the untrained eye, things can often seem straightforward or simple and inventory clerks do a job that can sometimes be seen in this way.

However, in my long experience, a good inventory clerk will save you lots of money, stress, arguments and possibly legal action, by their careful & accurate recording of every aspect of every room, floor, ceiling, wall, feature and item, that requires a description.

I have found that many inventory clerks, whilst recording the presence of something, they do not usually make any comments of an area or condition of an item if it is superb condition or defect/damage free.
If something can be shown to be new however, this is usually noted.

A note in the front of the inventory report usually explains this or how the clerk describes everything.

A good clerk will surprise you with the level of detail that can be achieved by their razor sharp eyes and detailed knowledge of numerous building and feature terms which a lay person will just will not know.

Obviously, a plain unfurnished refurbished/new 2 bed flat is going to take less description than a heavily furnished 4 bedroom detached house with front and back gardens and consequently, prices will reflect that difference.

Take it from me: professional independent inventory clerks and their reports are worth every penny that you pay but often, their value far exceeds their cost.