PDA

View Full Version : Prospective T refuses info, citing Data Protection Act

robertwinstanley
06-02-2010, 22:13 PM
Hi I have a property advertised to let and today received a lead from an online advert requesting more info. In my reply to them I mentioned if they were to rent the property, I would need to see 3 mths bank statements, wage slips and passport or driving licence as supporting documents.

I then received a reply from them threatning me with contravening data protection laws and made a LEGAL request to have my data protection ref no. or they are to instruct the authorities of non compliance of legislation. At this stage they have not even seen the property. I was gob smacked, I guess they have something to hide.

I have been on the ICO website and from what and I can see I dont have to be registered with them to simply cross reference these documents to verify the applicants details. Can anyone confirm this or had any similar dealings.

Thanks, any advice appreciated

jeffrey
06-02-2010, 22:23 PM
The're obviously nutters, so play dumb. Ask them exactly which section of which Act you have supposedly transgressed.

ram
06-02-2010, 22:31 PM
them threatning me with contravening data protection laws and made a LEGAL request to have my data protection ref no. I guess they have something to hide.

Don't show them the property, they have too much to hide. Keep them away from your property, don't even reply - or better still, if they insist, say you have 9 people interested, and you wil get back to them, ( which of course you wont, if you are sensible )

You are not contravening anything, as you are not giving away details of anyone, you are Asking for information, ... not giving it away, the laws are to prevent you giving details out. You made a reasonable request, so keep clear of them, as the red flags are now up as to how they will treat you in the future.

R.a.m

robertwinstanley
06-02-2010, 22:35 PM
Thanks jeffrey and ram for your prompt replies. I have emailed them wishing them good luck in finding a private landlord with a data protection reference no. or one that does not make request for any of these documents. !