PDA

View Full Version : Student T needs to find guarantor and references- how?

duomaxwell
03-02-2010, 17:48 PM
Ok so I am a student tenant aged 26.

I have been in current property almost 3 months but the first payment I mad to LL I could only afford 2 weeks as loan came through and 2nd was about a day or so late as I forgot, and in January it was about 2 days late due to bank but was on time this month.

Landlord before that was mixed payment times because again my loan was late but I made sure I paid landlord wheneverI could so paid first months rent advance, then no money for 6 weeks then gave 3 weeks, 2 weeks later gave 3 weeks, then paid up when I left.

Landlord before that illegally evicted me as my rent was about 5 days late and the LL before that was a uni halls, and before that was a LL I was with for a year but left on bad terms, and before that was one I had for 4 years but hes retired and uncontable.

It may seem from what I have wrote that I am always paying late but it was only recently due to student loan problems the LL I was with for 4 years I paid on time apart from 2 periods of about a month when I was signing on and money took about a month to arrive.

Problem 2 is a guaranteur since I left home years ago and dont have close family to back me up, parents are alive but not willing to be involved with money things since I left home and havent seen uncles or aunts in about 12 yaers and not close.

mind the gap
03-02-2010, 18:50 PM
Ok so I am a student tenant aged 26.

I have been in current property almost 3 months but the first payment I mad to LL I could only afford 2 weeks as loan came through and 2nd was about a day or so late as I forgot, and in January it was about 2 days late due to bank but was on time this month.

Landlord before that was mixed payment times because again my loan was late but I made sure I paid landlord wheneverI could so paid first months rent advance, then no money for 6 weeks then gave 3 weeks, 2 weeks later gave 3 weeks, then paid up when I left.

Landlord before that illegally evicted me as my rent was about 5 days late and the LL before that was a uni halls, and before that was a LL I was with for a year but left on bad terms, and before that was one I had for 4 years but hes retired and uncontable.

It may seem from what I have wrote that I am always paying late but it was only recently due to student loan problems the LL I was with for 4 years I paid on time apart from 2 periods of about a month when I was signing on and money took about a month to arrive.

Problem 2 is a guaranteur since I left home years ago and dont have close family to back me up, parents are alive but not willing to be involved with money things since I left home and havent seen uncles or aunts in about 12 yaers and not close.
How can we help you?

PaulF
03-02-2010, 19:07 PM
Is English a second language for you?

duomaxwell
03-02-2010, 19:21 PM
Is English a second language for you?

No but I am dyslexic and dyspraxic, quite rude to say that actually.

Anyway wanted a bit of advice on my options on guaranteurs since this is a landlord/tenant site and people are bound to have come across problems like this before.

jrsteeve
03-02-2010, 19:30 PM
Guarantor can be anyone, doesn't have to be family. They do need sufficient earnings, good credit history and ideally be a home owner. Maybe ask a friend?

Alternative is to pay for the first 6 months upfront.

Snorkerz
03-02-2010, 19:32 PM
No but I am dyslexic and dyspraxic, quite rude to say that actually.No, it was a question. How else would you have been given the chance to give a reason for your standard of English? The normal expectation of students is for them to have reached a certain level of educaion, and for that to be evident in their communication skills.

Anyway wanted a bit of advice on my options on guaranteurs since this is a landlord/tenant site and people are bound to have come across problems like this before.There is no magic bullet - if you can't find someone who trusts you enough that they will guarantee you'll pay everything you should, when you should, then the landlord (who doesn't know you at all) isn't going to.

Added to that your recent payment history (whatever the reasons) and you make yourself quite unattractive to a landlord without a guarantor. A very big deposit might help, but it will be less effective than a decent guarantor.

duomaxwell
03-02-2010, 19:52 PM
No, it was a question. How else would you have been given the chance to give a reason for your standard of English? The normal expectation of students is for them to have reached a certain level of educaion, and for that to be evident in their communication skills.

There is no magic bullet - if you can't find someone who trusts you enough that they will guarantee you'll pay everything you should, when you should, then the landlord (who doesn't know you at all) isn't going to.

Added to that your recent payment history (whatever the reasons) and you make yourself quite unattractive to a landlord without a guarantor. A very big deposit might help, but it will be less effective than a decent guarantor.

My standard of English though wasnt awful, apart from quite a few single sentences and about 1 or 2 spelling mistakes and probably far better than many other people who post, I was also a bit tired at the time of posting and thought it easier to mention each thing seperate so that it wasnt just one massive paragraph.

For the 2nd bit, hmm I should of thought before asking but I forgot that most of the landlords here are from the bigger cities and most from the south of England where these sort of things are common, I have lived in this town on and off for about 10 years and this is first time I have been asked for a guarantor here and only other time was when I went into an agency in a different area of the country before who said that they would only take people signing on with a guarantor, if you were working they wouldnt.

I may ask him if he could arrange to say instead accept the 3 months for summer, then when student loan arrives end of September give him that 3 months since then I have paid him 6 months by the end of 1st week of uni but dont know.

My recent payment history actually isnt as bad as I make it out to be since when I moved in I said to landlord I could pay 2 weeks in advance but wasnt sure when 2nd payment was due but if it was any more than 4 weeks I would be able to get an emergency payment from uni which I would use to pay him any arrears and would give him pretty much every penny I got, so if uni gave me £200 I would give him £190 leaving me with £10 for food for a few weeks and would also sell as many of my possessions as I could as I dont want to get in arrears, as it turns out I was only about a week or so in arrears but the bank transfer took ages to clear to him(or so he claimed) and in December I think was a day late or so but I may be wrong but it actually may of been paid in time but again LL claimed it was late and the landlord before that I was actually in credit of a few weeks 2 or 3 times(cant remember exact dates) I think I am getting things mixed up there too as I think at most I was a week or so off at one point then paid the week off and put myself a few weeks in credit but not sure exactly as it means going though file for receipts.

mind the gap
03-02-2010, 20:03 PM
My recent payment history actually isnt as bad as I make it out to be since when I moved in I said to landlord I could pay 2 weeks in advance but wasnt sure when 2nd payment was due but if it was any more than 4 weeks I would be able to get an emergency payment from uni which I would use to pay him any arrears and would give him pretty much every penny I got, so if uni gave me £200 I would give him £190 leaving me with £10 for food for a few weeks and would also sell as many of my possessions as I could as I dont want to get in arrears, as it turns out I was only about a week or so in arrears but the bank transfer took ages to clear to him(or so he claimed) and in December I think was a day late or so but I may be wrong but it actually may of been paid in time but again LL claimed it was late and the landlord before that I was actually in credit of a few weeks 2 or 3 times(cant remember exact dates) I think I am getting things mixed up there too as I think at most I was a week or so off at one point then paid the week off and put myself a few weeks in credit but not sure exactly as it means going though file for receipts.

If you do not trust what we are saying about your written English, please show this paragraph to a friend and ask them to tell you truthfully how easy they find it to follow. It is almost entirely devoid of punctuation, which makes your rather complex sentence structures hard to unravel.

With the greatest of respect I would suggest that you keep it simple and short.

I would echo the advice given by other members as far as a guarantor goes. If you cannot provide anyone willing to stand surety for you, seek the help of the University Accommodation Office in finding a room. It is standard practice in most private student lettings to insist on a guarantor, but Universities have their own ways of ensuring you pay! (Like refusing to allow you to graduate with accommodation debts, for a start!)

duomaxwell
03-02-2010, 23:45 PM
I would echo the advice given by other members as far as a guarantor goes. If you cannot provide anyone willing to stand surety for you, seek the help of the University Accommodation Office in finding a room. It is standard practice in most private student lettings to insist on a guarantor, but Universities have their own ways of ensuring you pay! (Like refusing to allow you to graduate with accommodation debts, for a start!)

I was thinking of university accomodation however I get a token amount of housing benefit which I would not recieve if I was in university accomodation.

However like I said before in the area/s I am it is NOT common practice to insist on a guarantor its not the first time I have lived here, in fact I have lived in about 7 properties here in the last 10 years and never been asked for one nor has any of my friends and ifs not as if I am going for luxury accomodation, I am going for a house that looks like its stuck in the 60's or 70's which I like(has original 115 odd year doors and locks etc) and I have visted other places but not been able to afford them in the past and they never wanted guarantors.

I would not mind living in the halls but I have quite a sizeable amount of things so it would take about 2 trips in a small van if not 3 and means I would have to get a large £75 room and devote an entire corner to my stuff and buy a wardrobe or two.

I have no close family and due to my disabilities I have about 2 good friends and neither would work as a guarantor, though I may ask one since he owes me about £200 lol however though he lives about 200 miles away so wouldnt that be a problem signing?

I wouldnt say its impossible to get a reference though just my last 2 landlords I was only with short term so hard to get a reference.

mind the gap
04-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I was thinking of university accomodation however I get a token amount of housing benefit which I would not recieve if I was in university accomodation.

However like I said before in the area/s I am it is NOT common practice to insist on a guarantor its not the first time I have lived here, in fact I have lived in about 7 properties here in the last 10 years and never been asked for one nor has any of my friends and ifs not as if I am going for luxury accomodation, I am going for a house that looks like its stuck in the 60's or 70's which I like(has original 115 odd year doors and locks etc) and I have visted other places but not been able to afford them in the past and they never wanted guarantors.

I would not mind living in the halls but I have quite a sizeable amount of things so it would take about 2 trips in a small van if not 3 and means I would have to get a large £75 room and devote an entire corner to my stuff and buy a wardrobe or two.

I have no close family and due to my disabilities I have about 2 good friends and neither would work as a guarantor, though I may ask one since he owes me about £200 lol however though he lives about 200 miles away so wouldnt that be a problem signing?

I wouldnt say its impossible to get a reference though just my last 2 landlords I was only with short term so hard to get a reference.

Why do you think that being in receipt of housing allowance means you cannot spend it on University accommodation?

In the end, it may be that you do not have much choice. The two friends you describe - who may not in any case be willing to guarantee your rent - would need to be home-owning adults with clear credit checks - are they?

If not, I suggest you adopt a minimalist lifestyle by selling some of your 'stuff' on eBay and 'cutting your coat according to your cloth', as they say. There is no law (fortunately!) which decrees that students are entitled to the space for three wardrobes.

It might be worth asking your council if they have a list of LLs who accept LHA tenants and who do not require a guarantor.

Good luck in your search for somewhere suitable.

duomaxwell
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Why do you think that being in receipt of housing allowance means you cannot spend it on University accommodation?

In the end, it may be that you do not have much choice. The two friends you describe - who may not in any case be willing to guarantee your rent - would need to be home-owning adults with clear credit checks - are they?

If not, I suggest you adopt a minimalist lifestyle by selling some of your 'stuff' on eBay and 'cutting your coat according to your cloth', as they say. There is no law (fortunately!) which decrees that students are entitled to the space for three wardrobes.

It might be worth asking your council if they have a list of LLs who accept LHA tenants and who do not require a guarantor.

Good luck in your search for somewhere suitable.

I tested the council before and said that I was thinking of moving to university accomodation and would I get housing benefit and was told no as universities cannot be landlords, also I said I have seen private halls of residence not university run and was told you cannot get payments for halls of residence which I assume goes back to the days where it was universities that ran halls, and most students cannot claim benefits so they never put things in place.

Even if I sold pretty much all my stuff the room I have seen is so small it doesnt even have 1 wardrobe or anywhere for clothing, just a small sink, and 3 shelves and a desk and bed, even a room in the halls is far bigger, nice room though and would of loved it when I was 17 or 18.