PDA

View Full Version : Want Rid of Lodgers

Tassotti
31-01-2010, 22:55 PM
I have a couple of lodgers and want rid of them ASAP.

I have given them four weeks notice (which is it whats written in lodgers agreement)

However, can I legally give them one week?(Or even throw them out tomorrow..legally)

Thanks

Tass

Snorkerz
31-01-2010, 22:58 PM
It depends on the reason. If they have caused damage to the property or yourself, then I guess immediate eviction would be in order. In most cases though, your agreement would stand, so 4 weeks is appropriate.

Preston
31-01-2010, 23:04 PM
Hi

As with any other type of letting, the first thing to do is to work out what kind of tenancy (or licence) you are dealing with. Try looking at the "Letting Rooms in Your Own Home" leaflet available on the directgov website to start with. Once you have read it through you will then be able to ask some more specific questions if you are still unclear.

Good luck.

Tassotti
01-02-2010, 00:27 AM
From Preston's link (thank you)

Rights of landlord and tenant

There are two main issues where the rights of landlord and tenant differ for resident landlord lets compared with other types of tenancy - rent and security of tenure.

Broadly, someone who lets from a resident landlord:

* does not have a right to challenge the level of rent that he or she has agreed to pay
* can be given less notice to leave if the landlord wants to end the letting

Noisy, messy idiots are gone

Great

Snorkerz
01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Broadly, someone who lets from a resident landlord:

* does not have a right to challenge the level of rent that he or she has agreed to pay
* can be given less notice to leave if the landlord wants to end the letting

That is less notice than a tenant of a non-resident landlord ( who whould have to go through the s8/s21 process. Your lodgers agreement gave the lodgers additional rights by specifying four weeks notice.

jeffrey
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
But did the Lodger Agreement confer on L the power to give less Notice (or none) in case of breach by T?