PDA

View Full Version : Local rent assessment meeting- any tips?

spicy_
31-01-2010, 20:44 PM
I recently gave my assured tenant a notice to increase the rent and he's already told me that he's going to take it to the local rent assessment committee. I've read around various websites but does anyone have any personal experience of having to go through one? any tips for the landlord?
In preparation i'm putting together a written representation to justify the rise but do you think getting a solictor involved at this stage would be better?

Just as background i'm raising the rent by £120 more a month (27% rise). I know this sounds steep but the tenant hasn't had a rent reviewal in 3 yrs.

Paul_f
31-01-2010, 21:55 PM
It's nothing to do with the % rise, as you are entitled to 'market rent'. Get as much evidence as possible for any nearby premises that resemble yours and find out the rent being commanded. Also visit a few letting agents' offices and see what rents are being asked in the area. Also find out the LHA rate for your area as that is automatically based on the average monthly rental for property with the same number of bedrooms.

Spikeyjaycee
01-02-2010, 06:04 AM
It's nothing to do with the % rise, as you are entitled to 'market rent'. Get as much evidence as possible for any nearby premises that resemble yours and find out the rent being commanded. Also visit a few letting agents' offices and see what rents are being asked in the area. Also find out the LHA rate for your area as that is automatically based on the average monthly rental for property with the same number of bedrooms.

Does the condition of the property make a difference when a decision is made about an increase or is it £600 a month for a 2 bedroom flat, full stop. Surely the condition of a property (especially if it is in a bad condition) should make a difference?