PDA

View Full Version : Two year carpet cleaning rule

Blue
30-01-2010, 22:58 PM
Hi, 1)this is out of general interest. I heard today that if carpets are professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy the tenant doese not need to have them professionally cleaned at the end if the tenancy is less the two year's. True of false?
2) Who makes these rules and is it possible to get a copy?

mind the gap
30-01-2010, 23:11 PM
Hi, 1)this is out of general interest. I heard today that if carpets are professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy the tenant doese not need to have them professionally cleaned at the end if the tenancy is less the two year's. True of false?
2) Who makes these rules and is it possible to get a copy?
1) False
2) There is no one set of rules, but the general principle is that you should return a rented property to the LL in the same condition and state of cleanliness that it was in when you moved in, minus fair wear and tear. That means that if the carpets had been cleaned just priory to your moving in, then you should have the carpets cleaned to the same standard on vacating. Otherwise the LL can claim the cost from your deposit.

Blue
30-01-2010, 23:24 PM
O.K what about if they were new. Then professionaly cleaned at end. even short let 6 months?

mind the gap
30-01-2010, 23:30 PM
O.K what about if they were new. Then professionaly cleaned at end. even short let 6 months?
Yes, if they were new it is reasonable to return them in a very clean condition. This would normally involve professional cleaning (or hiring a carpet cleaner yourself and doing the job to a professional standard), but it will depend on use. If the carpet is in an area of high use you will almost certainly have to have them cleaned. If the letting is only for 6 months and the carpet is in a low-use area you may get away with less.

Is the state of the carpet noted on the check-in inventory?

Blue
30-01-2010, 23:33 PM
Interesting that there are no set of rules. I wonder if TDS and DPS play the same game

mind the gap
30-01-2010, 23:48 PM
Interesting that there are no set of rules. I wonder if TDS and DPS play the same game

I am not entirely sure what 'game' you mean, but in principle all three deposit protection schemes assume the a T will return the property (as I said) in the same state of cleanliness and repair he received it in.

bullybantam
31-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Not aware of any hard & fast rules on cleaning. Circumstances make a huge difference. A four person tenancy with two smoker & two kids (hopefully no overlap) and a pet will almost certainly be less clean than a sinle non smoker.

Bel
31-01-2010, 14:03 PM
I have never heard of 2 year rule.

http://landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25470

Rodent1
31-01-2010, 16:04 PM
Never come accross any 2 year rule, sounds like rubbish to me.

Time is not the important factor when judging the cleanliness of a carpet, the state of the carpet is.
If carpet is "dirty" over and above fair wear and tear then i would think that L is not unreasonable to request/deduct the cost of carpet cleaning.

I have a proffessional machine and clean all carpets between Tenancies as a matterof course - at no charge to the T. If a carpet was particulaly dirty then i would look at charging T , but I havent really had anything other than w/t dirt for a long time.