PDA

View Full Version : National Celebrations

jta
25-01-2010, 02:12 AM
It's Australia Day tomorrow.

Why haven't we got an equivalent national day of celebration in Britain?

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 09:53 AM
It's Australia Day tomorrow.

Why haven't we got an equivalent national day of celebration in Britain?

Absolutely! I have always lamented the fact that we do not make more of the anniversary of the Relief of Mafeking on 17th May each year. It seems to me it would be an excellent opportunity to forget our differences and to celebrate our Empire and Great Britain's success in subduing barbarism in the Colonies, in a national outpouring of patriotic pride.

Actually jta, the real answer is : because the Australians just have no taste at all and we do :)

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Two views:
A. There are too many Bank Holidays in April/May. If we have another, let it be in mid/late October. Trafalgar Day, anyone?
B. There are too many Bank Holidays. Abolish them all but provide (by statute) that all employees can add eight extra days' annual leave entitlement.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 10:21 AM
That doesn't seem to worry them in Oz. They have at least 11 Public Holidays including Australia Day, Anzac Day and the Queen's Birthday.

Now if they made us celebrate that here (QB) jta, Lawcruncher and I would make a point of going into work (even if we are retired) or if locked out of work, manning the Republican barricades.

Let's have none of that jingoistic nonsense here!

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Another interesting word (jingo). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoism says:
Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy". In practice, it refers to the advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what they perceive as their country's national interests, and colloquially to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others – an extreme type of nationalism.

The term originated in Britain, expressing a pugnacious attitude towards Russia in the 1870s. During the 19th century in the United States, journalists called this attitude spread-eagleism. "Jingoism" did not enter the U.S. vernacular until near the turn of the 20th century. This nationalistic belligerence was intensified by the sinking of the battleship USS Maine in Havana harbour that led to the Spanish-American War of 1898.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Uh oh. It's obviously Dictionary Day today.

Again, if you hadn't been so snotty about them, I would have lightened the tone of that remark with a yellow smiley, because I judged an exclamation mark too 'over the top', in the circumstances. But your disapproval was so ferocious that you will have to put up with a comment which looks a smidgin more severe than it was actually intended to be.

(And no, I don't really want to know the origin of the word 'snotty', thank you very much all the same). The skinflint one was interesting though.

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Delighted to help. 'Snotty' is derived from Old English 'gesnot', from the same base as snout. Gets right up my nose, mind.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Delighted to help.
Since I specifically asked you not to help, the delight must remain with you and in you, I'm afraid.:rolleyes:

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Delight is in the I of the holder.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Delight is in the I of the holder.
In your case, I think it must be.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Two views:
A. There are too many Bank Holidays in April/May. If we have another, let it be in mid/late October. Trafalgar Day, anyone?
B. There are too many Bank Holidays. Abolish them all but provide (by statute) that all employees can add eight extra days' annual leave entitlement.
Alternatively :
There are not enough Bank Holidays and we could do with a few more.
The newly created Bank Holidays could be inspired by events which in their focus or their significance would balance out the reasons for all the existing ones. So, to balance out the left-wing associations of May 1st, you could create 'Daily Mail-Reading Old Gits Day'. To avoid religious bias, we could have Christmas Day and one feast/holy day for each of the other established religions, plus a 'General Religious Nutters' Day', Atheists' Day and just to be on the safe side, Agnostics' Day.

Then everyone would be happy and it would only take out approximately 27 additional days from the working year, by my calculation. We work harder than any other country in Europe as it is - payback time! :)

mtg solutions inc

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 12:12 PM
In your case, I think it must be.
No, in my case I sometimes have my sandwiches. I always carry spare phonecard, handkerchief, keys, carrier-bag, and comb.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 12:21 PM
No, in my case I sometimes have my sandwiches. I always carry spare phonecard, handkerchief, keys, carrier-bag, and comb.

So if you ever lose your memory and need to be identified, they will be able to work out that you are a phlegmatic (snotty) but vain property-holder/owner who distrusts mobile phones and does his bit for the planet by having a carrier bag on him at all times? Unless there is a more sinister reason for the carrier?

Paddington Bear kept marmalade sandwiches in his case. Perhaps you are related.

A poem for you:

About His Person

Five pounds fifty in change, exactly,
a library card on its date of expiry.

A postcard stamped,
unwritten, but franked,

a pocket size diary slashed with a pencil
from March twenty-fourth to the first of April.

A brace of keys for a mortise lock,
an analogue watch, self winding, stopped.

A final demand
in his own hand,

a rolled up note of explanation
planted there like a spray carnation

but beheaded, in his fist.
A shopping list.

A givaway photgraph stashed in his wallet,
a kepsake banked in the heart of a locket.

no gold or silver,
but crowning one finger

a ring of white unweathered skin.
That was everything.

Simon Armitage

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 13:13 PM
No, Paddington was from Peru. The only other famous Peruvian was Michael Bentine.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 13:26 PM
No, Paddington was from Peru. The only other famous Peruvian was Michael Bentine.
Jeffrey, you really should try reading a story to a group of 6 year olds. Notice they way some of them wander off (sometimes physically, but mainly in terms of the topic). For example, you could say 'So that was a nasty thing the Wolf did, wasn't it, children?' Most of them will nod, but one of them will go off on a complete tangent and say 'My hamster got caught in the lawn mower last night' or 'Do wolves have to go to the dentist?' If they do this too often, it reduces the storyteller to a gibbering wreck.

Please explain how the fact that Paddington Bear (who is in any case a fictional construct), comes from Peru, makes it any less likely that you are related to him in the way I implied. Perhaps we had better put Michael Bentine back in the NSFC until we've sorted this one out.

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 15:19 PM
What? Paddington's not real? I can't bear the thought. He is from Peru, however.
Perhaps it's an acronym;

Paddington Bear (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddington_Bear)
Enjoyed marmalade and cocoa.
Remember that's
Unlike Winnie-The-Pooh who liked honey.

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 16:07 PM
Perhaps we had better put Michael Bentine back in the NSFC until we've sorted this one out.

Come on then, supersleuth, what does it stand for?

No endless internet-spawned lists, by the way (you won't find it there) - the only correct answer is the one which makes sense in this context...

Always assuming your brain is up to it....!:)

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 17:03 PM
Not
Suitable
For
Children.
(But his programme was, if memory serves, called 'Potty Time').

mind the gap
25-01-2010, 17:04 PM
Not
Suitable
For
Children.
(But his programme was, if memory serves, called 'Potty Time').
Good try, but...no.

Keep going!

Clue : FC is a noun phrase, not a preposition+noun

islandgirl
25-01-2010, 17:10 PM
Ohhh Australia day! That means I can spend all day talking about wombats again!

jeffrey
25-01-2010, 17:12 PM
Only if you're upside-down.

islandgirl
25-01-2010, 17:26 PM
did you know that a wombat's defence mechanism is its bum? If being chased by a dingo it can stop within 2 strides - the dingo then runs into its bumbone and shatters its skull. All written whilst hanging upside down in honour of Australia day...

Rodent1
25-01-2010, 18:12 PM
did you know that a wombat's defence mechanism is its bum? If being chased by a dingo it can stop within 2 strides - the dingo then runs into its bumbone and shatters its skull. All written whilst hanging upside down in honour of Australia day...

It would seem that gerbils havent mastered this trick yet.

jeffrey
26-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Back to the topic of the thread: today is India's National Day.

jeffrey
26-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Ohhh Australia day! That means I can spend all day talking about wombats again!
No, the woms aren't batting now- they're fielding. Womballs?

jeffrey
26-01-2010, 09:44 AM
More about Australia Day (inc. why it's today) here: http://www.australiaday.org.au/experience/page76.asp#Beginnings

islandgirl
26-01-2010, 10:09 AM
No, the woms aren't batting now- they're fielding. Womballs?

I know a wombat called wombles, will that do?

jeffrey
26-01-2010, 12:11 PM
No, whether:
a. underground;
b. overground; or
c. wombling free.

jeffrey
27-01-2010, 18:31 PM
The Wikipedia list of countries' national days is, sadly, alphabetical and not chronological. The next seem to be Pakistan (tomorrow) and Nauru (1 Feb.)
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day

mind the gap
27-01-2010, 18:59 PM
The Wikipedia list of countries' national days is, sadly, alphabetical and not chronological. The next seem to be Pakistan (tomorrow) and Nauru (1 Feb.)
[/url]

It could go in reverse order of the presidents'/monarchs' inside leg measurements - would it make any difference?

jeffrey
28-01-2010, 10:43 AM
It would to their outfitters. Suits you!

mind the gap
28-01-2010, 19:03 PM
It would to their outfitters. Suits you!

Lions and tigers. Sealing wax. Do the maths.;)

jeffrey
29-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Lions and tigers. Sealing wax. Do the maths.
Er, what have you been drinking? Buckie?

mind the gap
29-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Er, what have you been drinking? Buckie?

Work it out!

(The puzzle, not the drink. Just tea, if you must know).

jeffrey
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Back to the topic: next Tuesday (16 February) is National Day in Lithuania.

I rather think that Vilnius sounds more like a Roman baddy- "Vilnius, round-up your gang member colleagues Mobius, Omnibus, and Alf Ippititimus*."

*- see http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=Alf+Ippititimus&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

mind the gap
12-02-2010, 14:55 PM
Back to the topic:

I am overcome. I don't think I've ever known you say that before.:eek:

Are you unwell?

jeffrey
14-02-2010, 19:27 PM
No, but hazelnut-bar afficianados insist that we return to the Topic.

jeffrey
17-02-2010, 14:19 PM
Next up: Estonia on 24 February. Spring's a busy season in the Balkans, clearly.
Then Andalucia on 28 February. Lawcruncher will be partying.

Lawcruncher
17-02-2010, 16:00 PM
Next up: Estonia on 24 February. Spring's a busy season in the Balkans, clearly.
Then Andalucia on 28 February. Lawcruncher will be partying.

Did you mean Baltic?

If the rain lets up here I expect they will be dancing in the streets.

jeffrey
02-03-2010, 14:57 PM
Bulgaria Day tomorrow. Let joy be unconfined, esp. in Wimbledon.

islandgirl
02-03-2010, 17:16 PM
Lawcruncher, you have obviously never know the joy of spring in your Balkans...

jeffrey
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I wonder why no Welsh members reminded us of 1 March?

islandgirl
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Too busy looking down on the English tourists I suppose

jeffrey
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Or dealing with second-home inflammation disease?

mind the gap
03-03-2010, 13:18 PM
More obsolete racial stereotypes.

You should write abook about them, Jeffrey.

(Then pulp it).

jeffrey
03-03-2010, 14:18 PM
More obsolete racial stereotypes.

You should write abook about them, Jeffrey.
Eh? What supposed stereotyping? I merely pointed-out the exploits of the Welsh Nationalists, a matter of record and not supposition.

jeffrey
16-04-2010, 12:14 PM
17 April: American Samoa and Syria
18 April: Zimbabwe

mind the gap
16-04-2010, 13:02 PM
17 April: American Samoa and Syria
18 April: Zimbabwe

:confused:Any practical suggestions as to how you would like us to mark these events, Jeffrey?

jeffrey
16-04-2010, 13:11 PM
American Samoa: don't know but I await samoa your comments.
Syria: arrange a multi-cultural event to celebrate religious freedom and equality?
Zimbabwe: add a few more zeros to the currency?

jeffrey
01-07-2010, 14:46 PM
Today: Canada.
Tomorrow: the world?

No, but
Saturday: the USA ["We are the world"].

roryl
01-07-2010, 15:16 PM
Hong Kong has one today.

Also, Slovakia and the Czech Republic have one on the 5th. The Czech Republic's holiday seems to be over two days so the 6th will be one too.

Speaking of the 6th, Lithuania has a holiday on that day too.

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 15:23 PM
Hong Kong has one today.

Also, Slovakia and the Czech Republic have one on the 5th. The Czech Republic's holiday seems to be over two days so the 6th will be one too.

Speaking of the 6th, Lithuania has a holiday on that day too.

Rory - stop right there! :eek:

(Has Jeffrey cloned himself or something?)

jeffrey
01-07-2010, 16:28 PM
Rory - stop right there!
What, in Lithuania?

roryl
01-07-2010, 17:46 PM
Rory - stop right there!

Are you sure? I have an entire diary full of national holidays...
:p

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 17:57 PM
Are you sure? I have an entire diary full of national holidays...

Jeffrey has a list of all the people in the world who have ever been named 'Barry Brunton'. You could offer to do swapsies with him.

'T is weighty work you do here! [The Crucible] :rolleyes:

roryl
01-07-2010, 18:01 PM
I think I'll keep hold of my diary.

'Barry Brunton' is a ludicrous in this day and age.

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 18:04 PM
I think I'll keep hold of my diary.

Yes! I wish you would say so, in this thread, then:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29671&highlight=Barry+Brunton&page=2

roryl
01-07-2010, 18:10 PM
Done.

Pleased to be of service.

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 18:23 PM
Done.

Pleased to be of service.
Good lad. What is it you study?

roryl
01-07-2010, 18:40 PM
Politics.

(Cue the jeering)

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 18:42 PM
Politics.

(Cue the jeering)

Not at all! I expect it's very useful these days. There's a lot of it about, after all. And at least it's about ideas, and it isn't Business Studies, which is always a bonus. (The world is overrun with Business Studies students which is a complete waste of time and energy since it's all common sense anyway. Except that most of them don't have any. I turn into a Grumpy Old Woman at this point).

Mrs Mug
01-07-2010, 19:02 PM
And at least it's about ideas, and it isn't Business Studies,

Could have been worse, it could have been Media Studies. :rolleyes:

roryl
01-07-2010, 19:10 PM
I'm glad Politics is still considered more highly than Business and Media Studies. The eejits who practice it are trying their best to ruin the field for everyone.

I've studied both Media and Business at GCSE, even at that level they are largely useless beyond some interesting titbits.

Ironically, Politics can encompass both the above but it gives a slightly more meaningful take on them.

Anyway...

Do you come here often...?
:cool:

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 19:13 PM
Could have been worse, it could have been Media Studies.

Quite. Media Studies is a national scourge. Never has so much money been poured so recklessly into so many leaky brains, for so little gain.

The sad thing is, most Media Studies students think they are going to be journalists or film directors or TV presenters, when in reality, they aren't. They are probably going to work in Tescos, if they are lucky. The people who get to be journalists and film makers or TV presenters do degrees in English or History or Physics. I keep telling them, but do they listen?:rolleyes:

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 19:15 PM
I'm glad Politics is still considered more highly than Business and Media Studies.

I hope so. Does your course involve any Philosophy?

roryl
01-07-2010, 19:22 PM
Yup, an entire unit in the first year. Half on theories of the State/Government from the ancients (Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Epicurus and Augustine) and the other half on theories of International Relations (too many theorists to list but it covered Liberal, Realist and Marxist thought).

All very interesting but occasionally complex. It's very rewarding when you nail down a particular theory.

Next year, if I get the units I selected, I will be doing Modern Political Theory.

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 19:24 PM
Yup, an entire unit in the first year. Half on theories of the State/Government from the ancients (Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Epicurus and Augustine) and the other half on theories of International Relations (too many theorists to list but it covered Liberal, Realist and Marxist thought).

All very interesting but occasionally complex. It's very rewarding when you nail down a particular theory.

Next year, if I get the units I selected, I will be doing Modern Political Theory.

Sounds good stuff. What does getting the units you want, depend on?

roryl
01-07-2010, 19:33 PM
First come, first serve I think. They haven't explained the process very well, I don't think there is any credit given to academic performance.

The department doesn't seem to be handling the whole thing very well. They're still adding units run my new members of staff. I think one too many academics have gone on a sabbatical so the amount of courses are thin on the ground. My course, in particular has suffered.

Hopefully I will be studying, Modern Political Theory, European Integration since 1945, The Politics of Migration and Ethnicity and International Political Economy.

Fun.

mind the gap
01-07-2010, 19:34 PM
First come, first serve I think. They haven't explained the process very well, I don't think there is any credit given to academic performance.

The department doesn't seem to be handling the whole thing very well. They're still adding units run my new members of staff. I think one too many academics have gone on a sabbatical so the amount of courses are thin on the ground. My course, in particular has suffered.

Hopefully I will be studying, Modern Political Theory, European Integration since 1945, The Politics of Migration and Ethnicity and International Political Economy.

Fun.

Just read LLZ instead. It's all there:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=23703&highlight=Question+Time
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28111
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28259
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24726&highlight=Swamp+Donkey

The first one is a bit of a marathon - be warned!

roryl
01-07-2010, 20:06 PM
Oh wow, I wasn't aware LLZ was a hotbed of political activity. I'll give those threads a skim through.

Weird question. Are you aware if any of your properties are being offered around by students on the internal University email?

Over the last few weeks there has been an amusing thread of emails that have been sent to every undergraduate. It stemmed from the constant barrage of 'housemate wanted emails'. The last email was from someone requesting tenants for the TARDIS.

jeffrey
02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
A ludicrous what?

jeffrey
02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Today: Canada.
Tomorrow: the world?

No, but
Saturday: the USA ["We are the world"].
Tut, tut, Jeffrey: I meant "Sunday: the USA".

jeffrey
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Quite. Media Studies is a national scourge. Never has so much money been poured so recklessly into so many leaky brains, for so little gain.

The sad thing is, most Media Studies students think they are going to be journalists or film directors or TV presenters, when in reality, they aren't. They are probably going to work in Tescos, if they are lucky.
How true! They're mostly media-ocre.

jeffrey
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Oh wow, I wasn't aware LLZ was a hotbed of political activity. I'll give those threads a skim through.

Weird question. Are you aware if any of your properties are being offered around by students on the internal University email?

Over the last few weeks there has been an amusing thread of emails that have been sent to every undergraduate. It stemmed from the constant barrage of 'housemate wanted emails'. The last email was from someone requesting tenants for the TARDIS.
By Who, I suppose.

roryl
02-07-2010, 20:14 PM

If you were going to be strictly accurate, you would have to include the 5th (Monday). I imagine they get the extra day because the 4th falls on a weekend.

I'll close my diary now.

mind the gap
02-07-2010, 20:35 PM
If you were going to be strictly accurate, you would have to include the 5th (Monday). I imagine they get the extra day because the 4th falls on a weekend.

I'll close my diary now.
Good idea. Haven't you got an anorak to iron, or some trains to spot? :D

Why aren't you out being wild and free, anyway? Funny sort of student, you are!

(Only kidding. You are obviously a student of impeccable taste and discernment, to have found LLZ and contributed so intelligently to it).

roryl
03-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Thank you... :D

I'm a boring sod. This sort of thing interests me more than the 'student lifestyle'.

mind the gap
03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Thank you... :D

I'm a boring sod. This sort of thing interests me more than the 'student lifestyle'.
In that case, let us wish you a belated 'Welcome to LLZ!'

May your brain never rust.

jeffrey
21-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Happy Belgium's National Day- today's might be the last ever such?

leaseholdanswers
21-07-2010, 16:20 PM
Holy Belgium!

(with a nod to Douglas Adams RIP)

wilfred
22-07-2010, 11:04 AM

Wot! Jeffrey correcting Jeffrey? What has the world come to. Remember what Napoleon XIV told us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgNCoVmziQ

jeffrey
22-07-2010, 11:27 AM
He said, although I didn't, "They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa". See http://uk.ask.com/web?q=napoleon+%22They're+coming+to+take+me+away%2 2&sm=adv&dm=all&qsrc=196&o=0&l=dir
And 'he' was Jerry Samuels, way before your puppet.
The B-side (since you ask) was "!aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT oT gnimoC er'yehT" (by NOELOPAN VIX).

wilfred
22-07-2010, 11:35 AM
He said, although I didn't, "They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa". See http://uk.ask.com/web?q=napoleon+%22They're+coming+to+take+me+away%2 2&sm=adv&dm=all&qsrc=196&o=0&l=dir
And 'he' was Jerry Samuels, way before your puppet.
The B-side (since you ask) was "!aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT oT gnimoC er'yehT" (by NOELOPAN VIX).

Hmm, one of those reverse recordings of the sixties. Is there a lanimilbus message in there somewhere?

mind the gap
22-07-2010, 15:47 PM
Hmm, one of those reverse recordings of the sixties. Is there a lanimilbus message in there somewhere?

esruoc fo!

wilfred
22-07-2010, 15:52 PM
esruoc fo!

Translation required.

mind the gap
22-07-2010, 15:57 PM
Translation required.

You are a bit backward, Wilfred ;)

wilfred
22-07-2010, 16:04 PM
You are a bit backward, Wilfred ;)

Ah ha, so mtg, the later the day, the sharper the humour!

jeffrey
22-07-2010, 16:45 PM
A bit backward is surely tib a.

jeffrey
18-08-2010, 13:54 PM
Sorry that I omitted yesterday to wish Happy National Day to everyone in Gabon or in Indonesia. Tut tut.

jeffrey
19-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Today: Afghanistan (not that its citizens currently have all that much to celebrate).

mind the gap
19-08-2010, 13:51 PM
Today: Afghanistan (not that its citizens currently have all that much to celebrate).

Just knowing that you were thinking of them (if only for a few moments) will, I am sure, have been a cause for unconfined joy and celebration across Afghanistan, Jeffrey.:)

jeffrey
19-08-2010, 15:05 PM
I do hope so- no other causes thereabouts.

theartfullodger
25-08-2010, 06:48 AM
25 August (Día de la Independencia, declaration of independence from Portugal 1825), Uruguay!

jeffrey
25-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Wasn't Uruguay previously Spanish, not Portuguese?

theartfullodger
25-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Blimey, until I'd looked it up didn't realise how complex a road to Independence Uruguay had had...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uraguay#Struggle_for_independence
including

Garibaldi was also made head of the Uruguayan navy.
.. well, that takes the biscuit!
You are correct Jeffrey, but, I think....

Atful