PDA

View Full Version : alarm battery

teeps
22-01-2010, 14:27 PM
I wonder if anyone has any idea how much a replacement battery for a burglar alarm costs.I have offered to pay for the replacement but was told it would be about £20 + fitting cost.what sort of battery costs that!

mind the gap
22-01-2010, 14:38 PM
I wonder if anyone has any idea how much a replacement battery for a burglar alarm costs.I have offered to pay for the replacement but was told it would be about £20 + fitting cost.what sort of battery costs that!

Between £8 and £12 is more normal. However, the cost of fitting may be extortionate if it involves a ladder, because no handyman or builder is insured to use a ladder without another handyman or builder being there to hold the ladder (hence double rates of pay).

Do it yourself if you can. It is not astrophysics.

teeps
22-01-2010, 14:46 PM
shows how much i know!I thourght the battery would fit in the control panel not the exterior box! lol.thanks.

mind the gap
22-01-2010, 14:50 PM
shows how much i know!I thourght the battery would fit in the control panel not the exterior box! lol.thanks.

You may be correct! I was assuming it was in the thing on the wall but it may not be. I will ask my oracle on these matters. We had to replace one last year and I thought it involved a ladder. However it may have been that my husband just likes admiring the view from up high ladders.

fletchj
22-01-2010, 14:52 PM

You may be right - there will be a rechargable battery in the control panel to run the system if the power fails - there may be another one in the external bell box to run the bell (or siren) if the wire gets cut. These days many of the external bell boxes are dummies anyway with nothing at all in them.

Replacing the battery is straightforward enough if you know what you are doing - you may have to but in the engineer code as taking the cover off will trigger the tamper alarm if you havn't.

teeps
22-01-2010, 14:54 PM
ah! very interesting. you are'nt an electrician either! be interesting to find out about this.It is my tenant who has told me about the price of the job.

mind the gap
22-01-2010, 14:54 PM
See this site:

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83175

teeps
22-01-2010, 15:00 PM
thanks mind the gap. thats a useful site to know about.