PDA

View Full Version : tenant leaves without informing landlord

JohnnyNoHair
19-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi

I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?

tom999
19-01-2010, 12:47 PM
If T return's home within 13 weeks from when they left then HB can continue. Otherwise, it will stop.

If there is no chance of T returning, i.e. LL becomes aware that T has vacated, then the LA must be informed (it's an offence not to); the LL should then bring the tenancy to an end.

havensRus
22-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.

Unless she has 2months of unpaid rent, then use S8, gnd 8,10,11 to obtain possession

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.

Unfortunately, the onus will be on you to prove when she actually left.
Yes, they will not pay for period when T was not residing there.
You must tell them as soon as you know of the change of circumstances. If C overpays you (continuing to pay LHA when T not living there), they will hound you for recovery.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?

Typical response when they owe rent. You may have to go through the process for "abandonment" to recover the property