PDA

View Full Version : Letting to son and girlfriend

suezq
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
My son and his girlfriend are about to move into a property which I own. I've always let this through an agent so I just want to make sure that I do everything properly.

I need to give them a copy of the gas check and the EPC. I'm not asking for a deposit so presumably I don't have to do anything about the protection scheme. Is there anything else I need to do?

Also, I'm wondering about whose name to put on the lease. Should I put both? I want his girlfriend to feel secure so her name needs to be on it but should I put both? She's likely to be moving in a couple of months before him so do I issue one lease in her name and then a new one in joint names when he moves in?

What do I do about gas/electricity/water/council tax? The house will have been unoccupied for a couple of months so we must be liable for some of these costs. The LA has always sorted all this for us previously...

Any advice much appreciated.

tom999
12-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Is there anything else I need to do?If property is mortgaged, check your mortgage terms and conditions to see if letting to family members is allowed.

What do I do about gas/electricity/water/council tax? The house will have been unoccupied for a couple of months so we must be liable for some of these costs.You may be able to apply for a Council Tax exemption if property is unoccupied (and unfurnished - in my area) for up to 6 months.

Ericthelobster
12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I agree with what Tom999's said; also:

I'm wondering about whose name to put on the lease. Should I put both? I want his girlfriend to feel secure so her name needs to be on it but should I put both? She's likely to be moving in a couple of months before him so do I issue one lease in her name and then a new one in joint names when he moves in?I can't see any reason for not putting your son's name on the lease too. If were someone other than your son moving in there'd probably be a case for delaying/issuing a new agrrement when he does move in, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry. (I suppose the theoretical/potential exposure/risk is that if your son decided not to move in having signed the lease, and the girl stopped paying rent, then you could go after your son for the rent instead!)

What do I do about gas/electricity/water/council tax? The house will have been unoccupied for a couple of months so we must be liable for some of these costs.Just make sure (personally) that all the bills are transferred to the new tenants' names from the start date of the tenancy, ensure you agree the meter readings with the incoming tenant, and pass these (personally) to the utility companies, so everyone knows where they stand. You'll be liable for any bills due for the void period (hopefully you have meter readings from when the previous occupiers vacated?)

Snorkerz
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Also, I'm wondering about whose name to put on the lease. Should I put both? I want his girlfriend to feel secure so her name needs to be on it but should I put both? She's likely to be moving in a couple of months before him so do I issue one lease in her name and then a new one in joint names when he moves in? You can put both on the same agreement, it will be fine so long as it is the main residence for one of them.
What do I do about gas/electricity/water/council tax? The house will have been unoccupied for a couple of months so we must be liable for some of these costs. Take a reading of the utilities on the day they move in. You will have a closing reading from when your previous tenants left if not, ask your agent. Phone the utility company with both figures and they will amend their records to show son & gf as new customers and bill you for the bit in-between.

jeffrey
12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Is it a house or a flat? Is it freehold or leasehold (in L's ownership)?

suezq
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
It's a house, freehold, no mortgage. It will be AST.

Sad S
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Check your insurance policy before setting up the Tenancy Agreement.

In order not to void the policy, you may find that you are required to take up references on potential tenants, and find them satisfactory, before entering into an agreement [yes, even on your own son].

jeffrey
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
With a parental guarantor (= L)?!

suezq
12-01-2010, 14:49 PM
Check your insurance policy before setting up the Tenancy Agreement.

In order not to void the policy, you may find that you are required to take up references on potential tenants, and find them satisfactory, before entering into an agreement [yes, even on your own son].

Thanks for this it was something that hadn't occurred to me. I've checked and there's nothing about references so I'm OK on that score.

Poppy
12-01-2010, 15:06 PM
All bills and utilities are the owner’s responsibility during a void. My suggestion is to use utility companies that do not have a standing charge. For council tax consider claiming single person discount.

Reference and credit check the girlfriend if you think you want to put both his and her name on the tenancy agreement.

On the other hand you can let solely to your son, then his girlfriend would be treated as his lodger. He needs to sign a licence to lodge agreement with her (becoming her immediate resident landlord), preferably with a very short notice period. This would be my preferred option.

Ericthelobster
12-01-2010, 15:18 PM
you can let solely to your son, then his girlfriend would be treated as his lodger. He needs to sign a licence to lodge agreement with her (becoming her immediate resident landlord), preferably with a very short notice period. This would be my preferred option.But not if the girl's moving in 2 months before the son, though?!

Poppy
12-01-2010, 15:24 PM
Sorry, read that a bit too quickly. Please disregard the last paragraph of post #10.

suezq
12-01-2010, 15:43 PM
Thank you all for your help, much appreciated!