PDA

View Full Version : Scotland- promised house to let but offer withdrawn

susimac
08-01-2010, 23:58 PM
Hi guys
I am new to this forum and need some URGENT advice. i am a single mum to one year old and am currently living in a private let in scotland (dont know if that makes a differnce to any replies) however my lease is up and i had found another house which is five mins walk to my little boys nursery and my work, so i viewed the house, loved it and paid £150 holding deposit, agent advised this would stop anyone else looking at the house and would hold it for me until i gave one months notice to my existing landlord, which i did. So we agreed a move in date of Jan 8th (today) so i gave my notice and started buying furniture as the house im in at the moment is furnished and the new one is unfurnished. So had delivery arranged for beds, sofa, wardrobes etc for the move in date. However the agent called me the day before i was due to move in and said there had been a burst pipe and was no heating or hot water and that she didnt want me moving in with a baby, obviously i understood this and agreed a new move in date for this coming monday, so i called delivery companies and put them all off til monday and agreed with my existing landlord that i could stay til Monday. then today she calls me and told me that the homeowner has now decided to sell and has a buyer and that i can no longer have the house. I AM FREAKING OUT!!!! i dont know what to do or where to turn now aside from the fact that as of monday i have nowhere to live i have spent all this money on furniture and have nowhere to put it. Surely this cant be legal can someone please advise me on this as i just dont know where to go next.

Thank you

Susan x

tom999
09-01-2010, 00:03 AM
i am a single mum to one year old and am currently living in a private let in scotland (dont know if that makes a differnce to any replies)Sorry to hear about your situation, but housing law in Scotland is different from that in England & Wales (this forum).

Try Shelter or CAB.

bullybantam
09-01-2010, 00:06 AM
presumably you got a written contract in some form?

susimac
09-01-2010, 00:25 AM
All i have is a reciept for the £150 stating the move in date and that the this payment ensures the accomodation will not be offered to any other applicant before the planned commencement date. The agent said the lease would be signed on the move in date when i paid the deposit and first months rent in advance which is the same way it was done in my existing flat too.

thanks for taking the time to answer though, appreciate it.