PDA

View Full Version : Paying rent/ rat infestation?

shereendavies77
30-12-2009, 13:36 PM
I have just been speaking to a friend about the fact that she has a rat infestation.

She is as council tenant and has been in her property for almost a year. when she moved she inherited i huge refuse problem from the previous tenant. the back of her garden is piled sky high with years worth of rubbish and house hold waste. her local council told her that she was responsible for clearin the rubish wich she has been doing tirelessly for months but she is making very little head way.

a few weeks ago she noticed rat droppings in her property, when she got someone out to inspect it they said that it was be comin from the rats nests that have been laid in the rubbish tip and that her moving the ribbish would had upset the nests and the rats would have made there way in to her property.

now, a few years ago i was told by someone that if a tenant had a rat problem thay were exempt from paying rent on the property until the problem was solved by the landlord. also i am wondering if her local council should be taking more responsibility for the tip that was left in her garden when she moved in.

i would really appreciate a reply as my friend is at her wits end!

kind regards

shereen davies

jeffrey
30-12-2009, 13:54 PM
Ignore what the Council told her about clearing the previous occupier's rubbish. What does her Tenancy Agreement require of her?

camblet
30-12-2009, 17:25 PM
I have just been speaking to a friend about the fact that she has a rat infestation.

In the mean time, contact nearest cats rescue home and ask for a large mouser, make small donation. Take to new home and butter his paws liberally for 24 hours. End of problem.

pestcontrol
25-01-2010, 15:04 PM

She is as council tenant and has been in her property for almost a year. when she moved she inherited i huge refuse problem from the previous tenant. the back of her garden is piled sky high with years worth of rubbish and house hold waste. her local council told her that she was responsible for clearin the rubish wich she has been doing tirelessly for months but she is making very little head way.

a few weeks ago she noticed rat droppings in her property, when she got someone out to inspect it they said that it was be comin from the rats nests that have been laid in the rubbish tip and that her moving the ribbish would had upset the nests and the rats would have made there way in to her property.

now, a few years ago i was told by someone that if a tenant had a rat problem thay were exempt from paying rent on the property until the problem was solved by the landlord. also i am wondering if her local council should be taking more responsibility for the tip that was left in her garden when she moved in.

i would really appreciate a reply as my friend is at her wits end!

kind regards

shereen davies

Hi Shereen,

Unless there is a specific clause in the tenancy agreement stating that you would not have to pay rent in this situation I do not know of any law allowing this.

In law, under section 83 of the Public Health Act it is the duty of the occupier to remedy the situation, but as the problem stems from rubbish left from previous tenants I believe your local council will make a concession.

I would advise contacting your local council ASAP and see what they can do to help as rats breed fast (1 pair of brown rats produce 60 offspring a year).

If you would prefer to get someone out today you can visit our site - pestcontrol.co.uk

Best regards,

Paul