PDA

View Full Version : my landlord wants a new inventory. why?

pitac
19-12-2009, 10:45 AM
hi,

I signed my contract of my current house 4 months ago. About 3 weeks later i signed an inventory with my landlord and everything was ok.

The thing is that 2 weeks ago, my landlord came to the house with some documents about my deposit - that i alreday had paid when i signed the contract. He said that my deposit is protected now and that we new to do a new inventory but to be honest i dont see the point to do the inventory again. Last time i spent 3 hours on this. He said that the other inventory is not valid anymore and this is why we need to do it again. I would like to know why.

Thank you

tom999
19-12-2009, 11:06 AM
You're not required to complete a new inventory, but it may help to keep on good terms with LL. Did LL give a reason why original inventory wasn't valid?

Since the tenancy began, has; any items in the original inventory, and/or; the condition of the property changed. For example, new fixtures of fittings installed, or any property damage/deterioration?

Paul_f
19-12-2009, 14:41 PM
I would be disinclined to sign any new inventory until the tenancy ends; why? because L might have made some errors on the original that he is trying to correct at your expense. Only if a new inventory appears to be in your favour should it be signed, and you should definitely retain the original if that be your preference.

pitac
20-12-2009, 13:26 PM
well, i just called the landlord and he told me that how my deposit is now "protected"- i dont know what is a deposit protected anyway - we need to do a new one because the last one it was signed when the deposit was not protected so in onder to do it legaly we have to sing a new inventory. That made sense for anybody? because for me it sounds germany

Telometer
20-12-2009, 14:28 PM
Utter nonsense from your L. He clearly doesn't understand the system.

mind the gap
20-12-2009, 14:34 PM
well, i just called the landlord and he told me that how my deposit is now "protected"- i dont know what is a deposit protected anyway - we need to do a new one because the last one it was signed when the deposit was not protected so in onder to do it legaly we have to sing a new inventory. That made sense for anybody? because for me it sounds germany

It sounds nonsense to me. The requirement for your LL to protect your deposit within 14 days of receiving it has nothing at all to do with the sensible practice of conducting a check-in inventory at the very start of the tenancy.They are two completely separate issues.

My hunch is that your LL/his agent is angling to change the date on the inventory (and possibly even on the tenancy contract?) to make it look as if you moved in later than you did. He may think that this will disguise the fact that he has protected your deposit late. (Some LLs have been taken to court for this and been penalised to the tune of 3x the deposit, but only when they have continued not to protect it.).

It would be in order for you to refuse a new inventory politely, but firmly, unless he can give you a really good reason for it which is nothing to do with deposit protection.