PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to guarantor?

boldfinger
24-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello.

I'm looking for a flat to rent in Essex and am currently out of work so will be claiming LHA.
Most lettings that accept "DSS" advertise the fact that they want a guarantor which I am sadly unable to obtain.
I guess my question is, does anyone know of any other method of convincing them to take me on?

I don't really have the cash for 6 months rent upfront and I'm not sure if this is a viable option either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appericated.

KIND REGARDS,
MR BOLDFINGER

jeffrey
24-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Offer to pay L's cost of obtaining Rent Guarantee Insurance.

Localgovworker
24-11-2009, 15:32 PM
You could try approaching the Housing team at the local Council for advice, or maybe the local CAB. Some Councils run a bond scheme and some CABs can help with sorting out your benefits, deposit etc (here we have a separate Housing and Benefits advice centre)

Snorkerz
25-11-2009, 13:02 PM
Offer to pay L's cost of obtaining Rent Guarantee Insurance.

In my experience, insurers won't accept a tenant who has failed a credit-check (which LHA would) and has no guarantor.

tom999
26-11-2009, 17:40 PM
Some Councils run a bond scheme...In my experience, these schemes offer very little protection for private LL's if T wrecks the property and does a runner; as they have nothing to lose.

tom999
26-11-2009, 17:44 PM
I guess my question is, does anyone know of any other method of convincing them to take me on?Find a private LL: gumtree, local paper, online, etc.

What may help is: having references from working professionals, a checkable work (+ rental) history, a clean credit history, and as much deposit as you can afford.