PDA

View Full Version : Live-in Landlord moved out. Decreases Rent But At what cost?

johnnybravo1
09-11-2009, 14:26 PM
I was paying £310 per month on a 6 month (short term) lease. (INCLUDING bills). There are 3 others at the property (including the landlord), all of whom were paying the same and have been at the property roughly 12 months.

I have now been at the property 8 months and the landlord has decided to move out. He has got another tenant to take his room. When he moved out he mentioned the rent was now £280 (EXCLUDING bills - which are elec/gas, no others) and it was upto the rest of the tenants to pay the bills equally. We all agreed in principle to this, assuming the £30 difference would cover the bills. Well, it turns out that the money deducted will not cover the bills...so we could end spending £330 ish + a month each to cover it.

What I want to know is, do we have any rights at all here? Or because the short term lease is up and we're on 'month to month' basis - we have no rights?

I should mention I'm in Scotland (if that makes a difference).

jeffrey
09-11-2009, 14:33 PM
Last point first: yes, a lot. Scottish land law (and L&T) is very different from in E&W.

johnnybravo1
09-11-2009, 16:36 PM
Last point first: yes, a lot. Scottish land law (and L&T) is very different from in E&W.

Just out of interest then...what would the situation be if in England?

jeffrey
09-11-2009, 16:44 PM
Just out of interest then...what would the situation be if in England?
L might increase rent using s.13 of the Housing Act 1988, if the letting is an AST/SAT withing that Act.

johnnybravo1
09-11-2009, 22:03 PM
So does anyone know what the Scots law is for this?

Is our landlord getting away with ripping us off here?

mind the gap
09-11-2009, 23:14 PM
So the four of you are spending £120 pcm between you on energy bills? Is that an average, or the actual cost for the last quarter (Aug-Oct)? If the latter, then should we assume it will be even more in the winter?

What is the EPC rating for the property?

johnnybravo1
09-11-2009, 23:27 PM
So the four of you are spending £120 pcm between you on energy bills? Is that an average, or the actual cost for the last quarter (Aug-Oct)? If the latter, then should we assume it will be even more in the winter?

What is the EPC rating for the property?

Sorry I mis-quoted. There are 3 of us in the property.

We are paying £90 on bills per month ....However, as its obviously colder we are going to be paying a lot more than that. We predicted we were £2 a day on electicity, which left £1 a day on gas. Turns out it may even be £2 a day on gas (as thats our central source of heating)...so obviously it could be double what we're paying in gas ; £60 per month...Total being £120 a month instead of £90.
You can assume we paid £90 in July/August/October . The heating was never on at all. However this month is evidently different and heating will be on every day...So thats where the concern is coming from really....

lastly, I have no idea what the EPC rating is , sorry.

Thoughts guys? Cheers

:)

Poppy
09-11-2009, 23:38 PM
So, what is the monthly market rent for similar rented properties without bills?

Would you prefer to rent a different property with a live-in landlord who takes responsibility for bills?

johnnybravo1
10-11-2009, 00:00 AM
So, what is the monthly market rent for similar rented properties without bills?

Would you prefer to rent a different property with a live-in landlord who takes responsibility for bills?

Not the issue is it.

My question is simply, do the tenants have any rights when the landlord is asking for bills to be paid between us. We ALL signed contracts to begin with that stated the cost was INCLUSIVE of bills. Now obviously we are past the 6 months short lease....so what gives?? :)

Snorkerz
10-11-2009, 00:16 AM
Have you spoken to your council housing department - they should know the law. This is an E&W site really, hence you're not getting the responses you are obviously wanting.

Try shelter - they have an 0808 number you can ring

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advice_topics/renting_rights/houses_in_multiple_occupation_hmos

Poppy
10-11-2009, 00:42 AM
You agreed a rent of £280 per month with the landlord. I doubt you can renege on the agreement.

If you provide answers my original questions, I think the solution may become apparent.

johnnybravo1
10-11-2009, 09:23 AM
You agreed a rent of £280 per month with the landlord. I doubt you can renege on the agreement.

It was a verbal agreement. Nothing was signed from anyone.

£250-£280 per month.

Doesn't matter really. What I'd like to know is how much I'm having to pay every month so I (and the rest of the T's) can budget. Also none of us like having to pay over the initial £310 per month (that was originally agreed on).

If you provide answers my original questions, I think the solution may become apparent.

Thanks, but I don't really see how moving out is a solution here. (assuming your applying this).

johnnybravo1
10-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Have you spoken to your council housing department - they should know the law. This is an E&W site really, hence you're not getting the responses you are obviously wanting.

Try shelter - they have an 0808 number you can ring

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advice_topics/renting_rights/houses_in_multiple_occupation_hmos

Thanks for the info. Will do this, cheers.