PDA

View Full Version : Problems with landlord

jellybabies
08-11-2009, 23:24 PM
I moved into my house 3 months ago with my 2 children. There was alot of outstanding work to be completed before i moved in, however after i signed the contract and got the keys i found that it hadn't been completed. To date it still hasn't been completed. Some work is minor however some is important such as the driveway is half done and unusable, the garage is locked and full of his belongings, the boiler only works if i adjust the water pressure when it breaks down every week and the carpets have holes in them and are badly stained. Where do i stand on these matters? The letting agent are of no help and refuse to help me at all.

Also i have problems with him entering the property whenever he likes. He comes in when i am at work although i cant actually prove this and he comes into the garden whenever he likes. My garden is enclosed and you can only see into the house if you are in the garden, so i often come downstairs half dressed looking for something to wear or go into my garden in just my nightwear but on several occasions i have caught him out there supposedly emptying the garage which is still full. Is he allowed to come into the back garden and watch us? Also he parks out front and watches us, i feel i have lost all privacy and am also worried because i know nothing about this man and i have 2 children. The letting agents have told me he is allowed to as long as he doesn't come inside but i know definitely that he has been coming inside and surely the garden counts too? In fact the letting agents are almost ignoring me, refusing to help and treating me like a nuisance.

My contract doesn't expire til August but i really don't want move before then as it is extremely unsettling for my children. I have privately rented for 7 years and never come across anything like this before so would appreciate any help please, as a single female with 2 children i am very worried.

mind the gap
08-11-2009, 23:37 PM
I moved into my house 3 months ago with my 2 children. There was alot of outstanding work to be completed before i moved in, however after i signed the contract and got the keys i found that it hadn't been completed. To date it still hasn't been completed. Some work is minor however some is important such as the driveway is half done and unusable, the garage is locked and full of his belongings, the boiler only works if i adjust the water pressure when it breaks down every week and the carpets have holes in them and are badly stained. Where do i stand on these matters? The letting agent are of no help and refuse to help me at all.

Do you have anything in writing to say the outstanding works will be done?

Also i have problems with him entering the property whenever he likes. He comes in when i am at work although i cant actually prove this and he comes into the garden whenever he likes. My garden is enclosed and you can only see into the house if you are in the garden, so i often come downstairs half dressed looking for something to wear or go into my garden in just my nightwear but on several occasions i have caught him out there supposedly emptying the garage which is still full. Is he allowed to come into the back garden and watch us? Also he parks out front and watches us, i feel i have lost all privacy and am also worried because i know nothing about this man and i have 2 children. The letting agents have told me he is allowed to as long as he doesn't come inside but i know definitely that he has been coming inside and surely the garden counts too? In fact the letting agents are almost ignoring me, refusing to help and treating me like a nuisance.

Not good. It is completely unacceptable for him to behave like this - he is not respecting your right to 'quiet enjoyment' of your home. (The letting agents will not be interested because their contract is with him, not you and many agents lack the skills to mediate between LLs and Ts anyway). You should write directly to the LL, pointing out that you find his frequent presence/visits inappropriate, intrusive and bordering on harassment. Remind him that even if your tenancy contract gives him the right to inspect the property, he must give you at least 24 hrs notice in writing and you have the right to refuse if it is inconvenient. It's up to you how 'heavy' you want to get about this. He may not realise how inappropriate he is being - he might just think he is being a good LL, bizarre at that seems. You could report him to the police, but you may prefer just to make him aware of how uncomfortable find his actions make you feel, before criminalising him. Do you feel genuinely threatened by his behaviour?

Your TA should define the property and mention any parts of it which are not 'demised' to you, ie which you cannot use. Does it mention the garage?

jellybabies
09-11-2009, 00:01 AM
Thanks for your help, no i didn't get anything in writing as i had previously rented with no problems i was naive in trusting them. I do feel genuinely threatened by his behaviour im becoming nervous when im in my own home, only last week i got a call from the agents telling me my landlord is furious and serving my notice as he is standing in my back garden and can see (apparently from the garage, down the garden, through my brick conservatory and through the brick wall in my kitchen) that i had a dog in the kitchen. I did have a dog in there, my friend had brought him round and left him there while he took my children to school and as i already had cats i didn't even consider that it would be a problem. But of course the real issue is that it would of been impossible for him to of seen it from outside and the dog doesn't bark so he had to of entered the property while i was in the shower. As i have small children i often shower with the door open so i can hear them so i felt extremely intimidated by this. Also i have no blinds in the bathroom as you can only see in if you are in my garden so he would of had full view of me in the shower. He knows that i am unhappy with the situation but continues anyway. I moved house to get away from my ex who stalked and threatened me for months so to now move into this situation whilst of course not on the same level is a nightmare for us. I just want our privacy back but my contract says i cant change my locks without giving them a copy although this would solve the problem as my garden is gated.

There is no mention of the garage in the contract however i have in writing from the agents i am entitled to use it and it will be emptied 'some time in the future'.

Subway
09-11-2009, 00:36 AM
Change the lock barrels and get curtains / blinds up - pref ones you can easily take with you. LL won't know unless he is trying to enter house.

Padlock gate. If this is not needed to access garage if he complains it will be difficult for him to justify.

If you are likely to be turfed out there is no good will to salvage.

Ask agent to specify a single date convenient to you and in the near future (ie next 2 weeks?) when all belongings will be removed from garage. Agree LL not to come round for anything until this date. Not sure at that point if you can leave his stuff outside of garage after then but might speed things up if you threaten this.

jellybabies
09-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Thank you, he has already attempted to serve notice on me, i have presumed because i have complained about him several times to agents, so am very wary about changing locks without consent which i wont be granted as it will stop him coming in. The garage is locked and alarmed and only he has the key to both the garage and alarm. I have tried to set dates, previous one arranged was the 5th october as i was on holiday but again nothing was done. I suppose i am going to have to wait for him to come in again and be slightly more heavy handed with my complaint.

dominic
09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
If the LL has already served a notice on you (I assume you mean a notice asking you to vacate), then why not look for somewhere else to live? He is effectively offering you a way to leave and cancel the tenancy agreement!

I know I would want to move on and get as far away from this slightly perverted and rather odd individual as quickly as possible!

westminster
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Thank you, he has already attempted to serve notice on me, i have presumed because i have complained about him several times to agents, so am very wary about changing locks without consent which i wont be granted as it will stop him coming in.
He won't know you've changed them unless he tries to enter illegally. The thing to do is keep the old locks/keys (which belong to the LL) and reinstate them before you eventually leave - then you will have committed no breach of the contract.

I presume your contract is longer than 3 months so LL cannot serve a s.21 notice on you (i.e. a normal notice to quit, not one complaining of a breach such as rent arrears). A s.21 notice is also invalid if the deposit is not protected in a scheme.

But as Dominic says, why not take advantage of the fact that LL is effectively offering an early surrender, and look for somewhere else to live. LL is likely to evict you in the end, anyway, when the contract expires.

Meanwhile, fit some cheap blinds or curtains and change the locks, so that you are protected until you do move. I would also report to the police or local council as this man's behaviour is extremely unacceptable and he needs to be warned. If the agent is a member of any agents' association, report them to the association for failing to act on your complaints.

p.s. see links for additional info
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/harassment_and_illegal_eviction
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets

jellybabies
10-11-2009, 07:39 AM
I would love to move but unfortunately this close to xmas i cant produce the bond needed normally around £800 in this area as it takes weeks to have the bond returned. He served notice but backtracked eventually. I am looking into the locks as you suggested thank you, especially as at 11.30 last night he was again in my garden and also at 10am yesterday!!

justaboutsane
10-11-2009, 13:45 PM
Report him to the Police for Stalking. Maybe they will give you a helping hand.

Yorkie1
14-11-2009, 14:23 PM
I agree with justaboutsane

His actions constitute harassment and a report to the police is entirely justified.

If you aren't doing so already, make sure you keep a record of all of the events when he's watching you from the garden - useful evidence.

mind the gap
14-11-2009, 20:08 PM
I agree with justaboutsane

His actions constitute harassment and a report to the police is entirely justified.

If you aren't doing so already, make sure you keep a record of all of the events when he's watching you from the garden - useful evidence.

Take a picture of 'your garden' from the upstairs window, with him lurking in it. Save it as evidence.