PDA

View Full Version : Tenant & Landlord Issue

dazza
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
hi all I have some questions which I am looking for some advice on if possible
I am moving out of my property in december I have also given the months notice in writing too my landlord.
However when I vacate the property I do not know where I am going to be living and my landlord is informing me that I am legally obliged to give too him a forwarding address when I leave the property

has anyone on the forum ever heard of this before because I dont know what hes trying to do

many thanks

westminster
08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
You are not legally obliged to give LL a forwarding address when you go (at least in England & Wales - maybe different north of the border).

Snorkerz
08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
It may say so in your contract (AST). If you haven't got a forwarding address then the LL can not expect you to magic one out of no-where. Of course, by moving day you might well know where you are going - in which case you'll be able to comply.

Unless you intend to trash the place or leave rent unpaid then the LL isn't going to do anything about the lack of forwarding address because the cost of a court order would far outweigh any benefit.

He will, of course, need an address of sorts to send your deposit back to.

mind the gap
08-11-2009, 14:47 PM
You could give him a 'care of' address (e.g. a friend's) if that stops him nagging you. It's probably not worth falling out with him about.

Ericthelobster
08-11-2009, 16:36 PM
He will, of course, need an address of sorts to send your deposit back to.The OP hasn't made any mention of why the LL is so keen to obtain a forwarding address. I always ask quitting tenants for one a matter of course; I find that all tenants who are leaving on good terms have no problem with providing one, whereas on the couple of occasions I've had to repossess (where the rent arrears have been higher than the deposit), that curiously enough no forwarding address has been forthcoming! :rolleyes:

dazza
08-11-2009, 21:49 PM
I have no rent arrears everything has been paid up to date
the matter is I dont know where I am going to be living at the moment I do not have a crystal ball so I do not know. And I believe that it is none of a landlord business once I vacate that property ! :)

jeffrey
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
the matter is I dont know where I am going to be living at the moment I do not have a crystal ball so I do not know. And I believe that it is none of a landlord business once I vacate that property!
I agree. Unless L has some valid reason for needing to know, or your AST obliges you to divulge, don't.

chappers2341
10-11-2009, 17:14 PM
Not even sure how a tenancy agreement could legaly oblige you to give a forwarding address.

havensRus
10-11-2009, 18:40 PM
Not even sure how a tenancy agreement could legaly oblige you to give a forwarding address.

with words such as :
"The Tenant agrees to provide the Landlord with a forwarding address when the tenancy comes to an end"

westminster
10-11-2009, 23:12 PM
with words such as :
"The Tenant agrees to provide the Landlord with a forwarding address when the tenancy comes to an end"

Possibly an 'unfair' provision, and impossible to enforce in any case.

havensRus
11-11-2009, 08:45 AM
agreed, it is impossible to enforce, particularly if T has done a runner, or don't know where they are moving to.

If tenancy ends amicably, most Ts will give a forwarding address, unless they've got something to hide.

jeffrey
11-11-2009, 16:23 PM
with words such as :
It's no use then; "...before the tenancy comes to an end" would be more logical.