PDA

View Full Version : T offers six months' rent in advance- suspicious?

sunnygirl
07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
As a soon to be first time landlord am I right to be suspicious of a prospective tenant prepared to pay 6 months rent up front and a larger deposit with no obvious income? The tenant is not on housing benefit and is separated from her partner and in arrears on a mortgage. My gut reaction is something's not quite right.
Thanks

Ericthelobster
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
As a soon to be first time landlord am I right to be suspicious of a prospective tenant prepared to pay 6 months rent up front and a larger deposit with no obvious income? The tenant is not on housing benefit and is separated from her partner and in arrears on a mortgage. My gut reaction is something's not quite right.The obvious question to be asking is how does she intend to pay for the rent after month 6? What's she living on? Just because she happens to have a lump of cash available now to tempt you with now doesn't mean to say that you won't be lumbered with a non-paying tenant to evict in 6 months time.

And if she has all this spare cash, why is she in arrears with her mortgage?

Bel
07-11-2009, 13:09 PM
Relatives may be helping her.

Ask directly where the money is coming from and see some proof eg savings book. Ask how she will fund it after 6 months..she may be entitled to housing benefit

RupertB
07-11-2009, 13:30 PM
I agree with the above. Have to say we won't take anyone paying 6 months up front any more unless they have a guarantor as well. Had too many probs where after 6 months it was a struggle to get them to pay or they sat and waited to be evicted to get a council property. Just not worth the hassle as far as i'm concerned and after 6 years in the business.

Thanks

Paul

sunnygirl
07-11-2009, 15:28 PM
Thanks to all of you, this is the third tenant an agent has found for me that dosn't quite ring true. Funny how all of the separated women bring their estranged partners to view the property, they are all of course 'lovely ladies'!

Paragon
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
There is a saying "When in doubt, say NO and you will be right 95% of the time." Don't know where the saying first came from, but we use it in the finance industry a lot and it works magically.

domino
08-11-2009, 14:30 PM
Thanks to all of you, this is the third tenant an agent has found for me that dosn't quite ring true. Funny how all of the separated women bring their estranged partners to view the property, they are all of course 'lovely ladies'!

I fell prey of one of those 'lovely ladies' earlier this year, on Housing Benefit while in a house from Local Housing Association, ... with estranged husband! She agreed to have Housing Benefit paid directly into my account, etc.... only to 'realise' she was to be paid DIRECTLY, because tenancy was now with a private landlord! I believed her 'sad stories' of council messing her up with payments, etc... until I asked Council directly what the situation was! Turned out she had pocketed all her LHA money (150 per week!). Also alleged estranged husband has always lived there! Got them evicted a few weeks ago ... and somehow they managed to get a new council house! Rumour goes at present that her husband is now in Paris! ... and she is advertising on Gumtree again, looking for another property to rent from a private landlord! :) That is what's called a 'professional tenant!

mind the gap
08-11-2009, 23:00 PM
I fell prey of one of those 'lovely ladies' earlier this year, on Housing Benefit while in a house from Local Housing Association, ... with estranged husband! She agreed to have Housing Benefit paid directly into my account, etc.... only to 'realise' she was to be paid DIRECTLY, because tenancy was now with a private landlord! I believed her 'sad stories' of council messing her up with payments, etc... until I asked Council directly what the situation was! Turned out she had pocketed all her LHA money (150 per week!). Also alleged estranged husband has always lived there! Got them evicted a few weeks ago ... and somehow they managed to get a new council house! Rumour goes at present that her husband is now in Paris! ... and she is advertising on Gumtree again, looking for another property to rent from a private landlord! That is what's called a 'professional tenant!
:confused:Where do people find the energy to lead such complicated lives? I'd be exhausted within 48 hours if I had to do all that.

jeffrey
09-11-2009, 13:20 PM
For why anyone pays rent for six months in advance, see 'Cannabis factories': http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=1404263

chappers2341
10-11-2009, 18:12 PM
Was just about to say that Jeffrey ,she might be nothing more than arental front for the real operators.
Be very wary

ezylet.com
11-11-2009, 15:22 PM
As a soon to be first time landlord am I right to be suspicious of a prospective tenant prepared to pay 6 months rent up front and a larger deposit with no obvious income? The tenant is not on housing benefit and is separated from her partner and in arrears on a mortgage. My gut reaction is something's not quite right.
Thanks

Hi Sunnygirl

So did you find you're ideal tenant in the end?
Good luck

dominic
11-11-2009, 16:16 PM
...but bear in mind that you may still have to pay your existing agent's fees even if Ezylet fins you a tenant.

Ezylet: you are treading a fine line and are bordering on advertising. I for one certainly do not want to see this site clogged up with casual plugs by agents for their service, particularly when every post (of a total of 6 by my count) refers back in some way to your product.

Editor
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
They have now been given their 2nd warning about unauthorised ads. This is the message we send which I think is clear enough:

You need permission to advertise, including when you put a link on your signature:

At LandlordZONE we make our money to maintain the free service through advertising, so we do not allow free ads on the forum - if we don't police this it just snowballs and before we know it, everyone is advertising their wares through their posts.

Topic Experts - those who devote their time to giving genuine answers to visitors questions are the only people we allow to advertise their services - sorry!

Our moderators are keen to keep these ads off the forum and actively police this activity.

If you are serious about promoting your products / services to Landlords or Agents through one of the UK's busiest Landlord sites, why not place a FREE ad in our Directory or enquire about paid ads?

Contact us on 0845 260 4420

editor@landlordzone.co.uk

jeffrey
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Good! Hope that it works.

GiantDogLover
26-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I realise this is an old thread, but I just wanted to reply as I didn't realise that offering six months rent in advance was somehow suspicious. I have just done that myself because I have never rented before and I do not have an ideal credit record. Nobody questioned it at all and one agent told me that is what they would ask for if a tenant didn't pass the referencing saga.

Interlaken
26-08-2013, 13:05 PM
Yes GiantDogLover it is often the case that a tenant offering 6 months has a poor credit history but the points others raise in this thread are also valid.

An agent - rather than lose a deal would ask for 6 months up front but I would always look at the case on an individual basis. In your case I might ask for a guarantor as back up - I too was once caught out by a fibber tenant who left owing £2K in rent - I got it back at £10 a week!

josh123
26-08-2013, 19:35 PM
Just had a very similar offer from a perspective tenant, researched this possible tenant - No Way on the basis of credit check..!!!

My advice to private landlords - keep well away from such offers..

@GiantDogLover - I wish you well

mind the gap
26-08-2013, 22:45 PM
My advice to private landlords - keep well away from such offers..

I disagree. If there is a property-owing Guarantor in place for the duration of the tenancy, it's most probably fine. My son (a post-grad student in London) is hoping to find somewhere to rent with an old uni friend, who is a young professional working his way up through the ranks of TV production via a series of contracts. He also has his own theatre commpany, and works extrememly hard...but has no regular salary. His parentsd however are very rich and could easily stump up 6 or even 12 months rent in advance. I hope this won't act as a deterrent to LLs!

@GiantDogLover - I wish you well

I wish you would change your name. Isn't it illegal?

GiantDogLover
27-08-2013, 06:12 AM
I wish you would change your name. Isn't it illegal?

I am probably a little naive, but what is illegal about my name? I would be interested to know because I see nothing illegal or even remotely inappropriate in being an enthusiast and therefore lover of giant breed dogs. Unless, of course, you are one of those unfortunate people who interpret everything you see as having a sexual meaning. Please explain.

mind the gap
27-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I am probably a little naive, but what is illegal about my name? I would be interested to know because I see nothing illegal or even remotely inappropriate in being an enthusiast and therefore lover of giant breed dogs. Unless, of course, you are one of those unfortunate people who interpret everything you see as having a sexual meaning. Please explain.

Relax. It was a joke. And no, I don't interpret everything I see in any particular way, as you would know if you were more familiar with the forum.

Hope you found my substantive answer about rent in advance useful, btw.

mind the gap
27-08-2013, 08:27 AM

You are of course welcome to call yourself anything you wish, within reason. Out of context, however, 'Giant Dog Lover' does sound a bit odd. It sounds as though you are a Giant, apart from anything else. And, equally out of context, 'Lover' does have connotations of the bedroom.

But relax. It was a joke. And no, I don't interpret everything I see in any particular way, as you would know if you were more familiar with the forum.

Hope you found my substantive answer about rent in advance useful, btw.:(wasntme):