PDA

View Full Version : Unsafe property - landlord ignoring emails

ggrw104
06-11-2009, 17:06 PM
About a month ago we discovered that the water from the flat above us, shower was leaking into our kitchen through the light socket.

I have informed the landlord several times and my housemate and I have been upstairs to the flat who confirmed there are exposed wires behind their shower which is where the water is leaking through.

The landlord has ignored our emails and we have made him aware that this is potentially a very dangerous situation. Can anyone tell me who I need to take this up with? As they aren't looking into it at all, is it the council?

Any advice much appreciated!

teeps
06-11-2009, 17:28 PM
get in touch with the local councils environmental dept and tell them the LL name and address. they should help.

westminster
06-11-2009, 17:37 PM
About a month ago we discovered that the water from the flat above us, shower was leaking into our kitchen through the light socket.

I have informed the landlord several times and my housemate and I have been upstairs to the flat who confirmed there are exposed wires behind their shower which is where the water is leaking through.
This needs to be fixed by the people upstairs- or is that flat above owned by your landlord, too? No point fixing downstairs before upstairs is fixed.

You could also report to the environmental health officer at the council.

General info about disrepair in link
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets

ggrw104
07-11-2009, 15:38 PM
Sorry should have said, Landlord owns all three flats in the block!

Paragon
07-11-2009, 22:32 PM
Send a letter. Some people don't look at their emails for lengthy periods of time or they get so much junk, like me, that I hit the shift key plus the down arrow and delete all at once with only a brief glance, so miss some emails. But then, I'm one of those that considers anything that comes by email as basically unimportant.

westminster
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Send a letter.

Yes, and keep a copy and get proof of postage. Otherwise, worst case scenario, LL could claim that you were negligent in failing to report the disrepair.