PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from an inexperienced Landlord

newbieLLinneed
06-11-2009, 14:57 PM
Hi. I'm having some problems with my ex-tenant and I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

Whose responsibility is it to transfer utility accounts into the tenants' names? I just found out they haven't paid any electric the whole time they've lived there.

I had a gas fire which my plumber turned off and put a sticker on to say it was not to be used. The house was fully central heated so is it ok that I didn't replace the fire?

During the tenancy the shower leaked. We went and turned off the water supply to it but didn't replace it with a new one. The property has a bath so is it ok that I didn't replace it?

There was a problem with the hot bath tap in that it wouldn't run at a decent flow. The tenants didn't let me know until just before they moved out when I asked them if they needed to tell me anything so have they got any come-back on this now?

The tenants left the property dirty but they don't want to pay for me to get cleaners in. I don't have the money to pay for it up-front and can't afford to wait for the dispute service to get involved so I will have to do it myself. Can I still charge them for it? (They also left the garden overgrown with weeds and there are a couple of damaged items which I'm charging for). Unfortunately I didn't do an inventory as it was unfurnished so I didn't think there was any need (lesson learnt there).

Any help greatly appreciated as this is the first time I've let a property and I'm at the end of my tether with it as I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks very much.

mind the gap
06-11-2009, 15:37 PM
Hi. I'm having some problems with my ex-tenant and I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

Whose responsibility is it to transfer utility accounts into the tenants' names? I just found out they haven't paid any electric the whole time they've lived there. Common sense suggests the LL should do this (as the T has no real incentive to!), but if you haven't, you will just have to explain to the utility providers that Tenant X lived at your property from x date to x date and send a copy of the tenancy agremeent and T's forwarding address.

I had a gas fire which my plumber turned off and put a sticker on to say it was not to be used. The house was fully central heated so is it ok that I didn't replace the fire? Probably, as long as using the central heating in that room does not add significantly to the energy bills compared with using the gas fire. (Unlikely).

During the tenancy the shower leaked. We went and turned off the water supply to it but didn't replace it with a new one. The property has a bath so is it ok that I didn't replace it?I don't think it is. Baths costs Ts more in energy bills and not everyone finds baths convenient. They rented the property on the understanding there was a shower. You should have repaired/replaced it, or offered a refund to reflect the worsened provision of facilities.

There was a problem with the hot bath tap in that it wouldn't run at a decent flow. The tenants didn't let me know until just before they moved out when I asked them if they needed to tell me anything so have they got any come-back on this now? No, if they did not tell you they wanted it repairing, you weren't to know, really.

The tenants left the property dirty but they don't want to pay for me to get cleaners in. I don't have the money to pay for it up-front and can't afford to wait for the dispute service to get involved so I will have to do it myself. Can I still charge them for it? (They also left the garden overgrown with weeds and there are a couple of damaged items which I'm charging for). Unfortunately I didn't do an inventory as it was unfurnished so I didn't think there was any need (lesson learnt there).
No chance, without an inventory. Learn from this.

Have you protected their deposit in a scheme?

You would be advised to spend a lot of time reading up on this forum about your repsonsibilities and your tenants' rights, before you re-let your property.

Telometer
06-11-2009, 16:16 PM
Did you have a gas safety certificate?

westminster
06-11-2009, 16:30 PM
Read through these:

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-factsheets/factsheets/factsheet-11-landlords-repairing-obligations.html

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets