PDA

View Full Version : Landlors threatening to take me to court after 2 years

tallulahbean
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi there, I'm new here and just need some advice please. I moved out of a rented property that I shared with a friend over 2 years ago. I have just received through my work a letter from the landlord saying they want me to pay £2700 or they will take me to court.
Part of this is for replacement flooring throughout and part is for "sanitisation". I am currently on maternity leave so have only just received the letter even though it was sent 2 weeks ago.
Although I didn't give a forwarding address (I didn't have one when I moved out) I still had the same phone numbers (mobile and work) and there has been no attempt to contact me.
There was no check done on the property prior to us moving in and it needed a good clean. One of the bedrooms also needed redecorating as the previous tenants had let their children paint all over the walls. They had also coloured in the electric sockets! I am no longer in contact with the other tenant and haven't been for over a year. I really don't know what to do, but the letter states the house was unlettable yet I know there was already tenants in when the flooring was replaced as I know the person who did the job.

Paul_f
05-11-2009, 08:43 AM
If there was no inventory presented to you at check-in for your signature, and you are sure one was never given to you then it will be up to your landlord to prove his case and that might be rather difficult.

It does seem a long time to try and recover apparent monies in respect of damage/dilapidations, but under the Limitations Act your landlord does have 6 years to do this.

Contact your local CAB or LA Housing Officer who might be able to advise you further.

tallulahbean
05-11-2009, 08:50 AM
There was definitely no inventory at any point. Thanks, I will contact the CAB.