PDA

View Full Version : mould/fungus appearing

saf
02-11-2009, 22:39 PM
hi all, first time i've seen this...

a property was plastered throughout 3 weeks ago and we left it to dry. went back today and found that there was mould/fungus growing on some of the walls.

some wally (me) forgot to leave air circulating in the property so i think this is what the problem is?

the offending bacteria is only on the surface - i.e. it's not comming from outside the wall inwards.

how would you tackle this problem? i'm getting mixed advice!

mind the gap
02-11-2009, 22:43 PM
Mould is a fungus, not a bacterium.

You will have a real job getting rid of it - the filaments may have spread right into the plaster. If fungicides don't work, you may have to hack it all off and re-plaster.

Have fun.

Ericthelobster
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I think MTG is being a bit alarmist there! At this stage it's not very likely to be anything that Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover (aka 'Dettox' spray, from Tesco) can't shift. The most important thing is to get the property completely dry now ASAP (use electric dehumidifiers if need be) as mould will then not be able to thrive anyway.

Telometer
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Open the windows and get a good draught through; even if it is raining outside. And then don't worry, brush it off. When you paper the walls, there will no longer be any sign of the mould. If you are just painting directly on the plaster, you may find it shows through the paint; panic not, and use some oil-based wood primer to cover the black marks.

That said, is it white or black? If white, then it may just be salts crystallising out of the plaster, in which case brush it off.

mind the gap
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
It Will Come Back :eek:
It Always Does.

(Especially to saf's house).