PDA

View Full Version : Communal electricity supply throught let flat's meter

Sue-Lee
02-11-2009, 23:19 PM
I have lived in a small block of flats for several years and have just discovered that the communual electric socket located downstairs in a cupboard under the stairs is connected to my meter, landlords and other tenants have used it. How do I stand, can I claim compensation from my landlord can I insist my landlord has it disconnected?

thevaliant
02-11-2009, 23:21 PM
I have lived in a small block of flats for several years and have just discovered that the communual electric socket located downstairs in a cupboard under the stairs is connected to my meter, landlords and other tenants have used it. How do I stand, can I claim compensation from my landlord can I insist my landlord has it disconnected?

You would probably claim from your landlord, who in turn would claim from *his* landlord, the freehold reversioner.

However, do you have any real idea how much usage this socket has seen and how much it might have cost you?

jeffrey
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Sue-Lee: are you a long-leaseholder or only an Assured Shorthold Tenant?

Sue-Lee
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I have an AST

(4 flats / 2 landlords owning 2 each they are also freeholders)

theartfullodger
03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
If it were me I'd find a way of switching it off from inside my property: (A flat rented by a tenant under an AST if the Tenant's property, not the landlord's: It is the Landlord's investment). [Arguing that you are turning it off for "'elf-n-safety" reasons],

I'd also write to the Landlord and ask him, calmly, politely & friendly-like, why he didn't tell you & that you hold him responsible for £xx/qtr (chose sensible sum).

Cheers!

Lodger

Sue-Lee
03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
If it were me I'd find a way of switching it off from inside my property: (A flat rented by a tenant under an AST if the Tenant's property, not the landlord's: It is the Landlord's investment). [Arguing that you are turning it off for "'elf-n-safety" reasons],

Lodger

Can't turn it off from my flat unfortunately it's on the same circuit as my garage and can only be switched off in the cupboard under the stairs.

Telometer
03-11-2009, 13:32 PM
Remove socket and replace with blanking plate. 5 minute job.

Ericthelobster
03-11-2009, 19:38 PM
Remove socket and replace with blanking plate. 5 minute job.And if undertaken with the level of detail you've described, potentially lethal, undeniably dangerous and with plenty of possible knock-on effects.

Never a good idea to proffer practical electrical advice in a forum, especially when incomplete like this.