PDA

View Full Version : Regulated Tenancy - subletting - can i evict?

footpowder
02-11-2009, 18:48 PM
Hi
I own a commercial property with two flats above, one of these is a 2 bed maisonette and is let on a regulated tenancy at a sub market rent of 6k against open market rent of 15k

It has come to my attention that the tenant is subletting one of the bedrooms.

What are my rights as a landlord and how do i go about evicting them if possible? The property hasnt been touched for donkeys years inside

This obviously has a hugely depressing effect on the property valuation.

Many thanks

mind the gap
02-11-2009, 21:44 PM
Hi
I own a commercial property with two flats above, one of these is a 2 bed maisonette and is let on a regulated tenancy at a sub market rent of 6k against open market rent of 15k

It has come to my attention that the tenant is subletting one of the bedrooms.

What are my rights as a landlord and how do i go about evicting them if possible? The property hasnt been touched for donkeys years inside

This obviously has a hugely depressing effect on the property valuation.

Many thanks

You're the landlord. It's not the tenants' fault that the property hasn't been redecorated or repairs done for 'donkeys years', or that it has lost value as a result, is it?

westminster
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
It's probably not sub-letting if it's just one bedroom; more likely the additional occupant is a lodger (a.k.a. excluded occupier). Anyway, it's pretty much impossible to evict a regulated tenant - see links below.

As LL you have a statutory obligation to carry out fundamental repairs and maintenance such as heating, plumbing, etc. You must also have a gas inspection every year.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/regulated_tenancies

http://www.cluttons.com/news_detail.cfm?newsId=120&archive=1

Telometer
03-11-2009, 09:19 AM
It is unreasonable for a landlord to refuse a tenant a lodger. Bad luck.

I take it the regulated tenant does live at the property?

You could try doing up the property and then the fair rent may have to be recalculated from scratch. (Which is why regulated tenants don't like landlords doing up their properties and refuse them entry so to do.)