View Full Version : Joint account for LHA tenant - who do you use?

31-10-2009, 09:43 AM
A new tenant who is due to move in next month has agreed to have her housing benefit paid into a joint account.

I've never done this before and don't know whether there is any account better than others for this purpose or whether there are any to avoid.

For convenience sake, I was considering Nationwide, as that is where the account for all other rents is held and there is one local to the tenant that she could pay her top up into.

Any advice or opinions would be most welcome


mind the gap
31-10-2009, 10:04 AM
There would appear to be no reason why you cannot use any account provider you wish - whatever is most convenient for you both.

31-10-2009, 10:18 AM
See LHA and Post Office Accounts (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19827).
Credit unions are useful. Many have accounts specifically set up for tenant's (and people on low incomes/benefits), so funds can be transferred direct to LL's account (in same branch).

As a note of caution, if LL is accepting direct payments (via a 'joint' account), then he/she may be liable for clawbacks if overpayments are made. Also, as it's the tenant's LHA claim, they can cancel it at any time if they wish to.

31-10-2009, 22:43 PM
OP, I'd recommend using a Credit Union account - as suggest by Tom999. I have a few LHA Ts who's LHA is paid that way - it gets BACSed to me directly as it hits the CU account!!

01-11-2009, 09:19 AM
There are Credit Union accounts like this

as Haven/tom suggest...



01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I love the idea of the credit union, but have looked it up and there are none even remotely near me.

Reading the other thread, I saw a poster uses Halifax as they offer a pass book. This will be my next line of investigation!

Thanks again