PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving the girlfriend in?

sonic69
30-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I've got my own home with a mortgage and I am contemplating moving the girlfriend in with her two teenage brats aged 16 and 14.

The plan is for the girlfriend to lease out her own home and then pay rent to me to live at mine but all bills and deeds etc will be in my name and she will not be paying upkeep for my property.

I was just wondering what is the best way to go about this i.e. as in what type of contract/rental agreement if any would i need also what would happen if the relationship was to break down further down the line i.e. would she be legally entitled to anything and where would I stand - or is there any way around such a thing happening?

Cheers in advance.

teeps
30-10-2009, 13:05 PM
I would say forget it, you are obviously not ready for a committed relationship or to fit the bill as a step father.hope your girlfriend reads this and thanks her lucky stars that she has her own house and freedom

sonic69
30-10-2009, 13:11 PM
Just being cautious.....afterall she has nothing to lose but I do.

teeps
30-10-2009, 13:17 PM
the law commision is considering changing the law on cohabitation to make it equal to marriage after a certain period of being together. considering that all other euopean countries and others recognise living together as the same sort of commitment it won't be long before UK follows suite.

teeps
30-10-2009, 13:19 PM
google law commision and put cohabitation into search and you can read up on it.consultations close on 2nd? nov 2009, law is likely to come in late 2011

sonic69
30-10-2009, 13:23 PM
Cheers but I already have been doing and not really getting anywhere fast.

Nothing really explains what is the best way to go about moving the girlfriend in and how it should be handled/approached regarding rental agreements/contracts etc.

teeps
30-10-2009, 13:32 PM
you can both write wills and specify that you are not leaving each other anything because you are both financially independent, but if circumstances changed and your GF became dependent on you for any reason through job loss or illness then that would change things

sonic69
30-10-2009, 13:35 PM
Okay, would a cohabitation agreement not cover the same area, or would the will be a cheaper way of declaring the just that.

Can I just move her in with no rental contract, rent book etc and take a monthly fee or could that lead to me being accused of tax evasion?

teeps
30-10-2009, 13:44 PM
a cohabitation agreement to cover both your interests would be a good idea and why not have a joint account set up in which you would both contribute to everyday expenses so neither of you is "paying" the other person anything as such.

sonic69
30-10-2009, 13:57 PM
From what I have been reading a joint account suggests that she would be contributing to the house therefore giving her certain entitlements.

teeps
30-10-2009, 14:03 PM
not if the agreement specifically states that neither of you will have a claim on each others property.the bank account would not be used for mortgage payments.

teeps
30-10-2009, 14:07 PM
I think that if you are still so worried about any repercussions then i would certainly think twice about living together.if you need rent money to help you out why don't you find someone to rent a room in your house? you can get about £345 per month tax free that way and no claims on your property.

sonic69
30-10-2009, 14:10 PM
I think that if you are still so worried about any repercussions then i would certainly think twice about living together.if you need rent money to help you out why don't you find someone to rent a room in your house? you can get about £345 per month tax free that way and no claims on your property.

I know but its not quite the same as living with your girlfriend if you know what I mean.

teeps
30-10-2009, 14:12 PM
why don't you move in with her then?rent your house out

sonic69
30-10-2009, 14:14 PM
Because her house is tiny.lol

teeps
30-10-2009, 14:19 PM
If I was you I would give the relationship more time, either it will get to the stage where you carn't live without each other or you will realise that having a little distance from each other can have advantages. also take it from me being a step parent is the most difficult job in the whole world!

sonic69
30-10-2009, 14:21 PM
If I was you I would give the relationship more time, either it will get to the stage where you carn't live without each other or you will realise that having a little distance from each other can have advantages. also take it from me being a step parent is the most difficult job in the whole world!

No worries pal...I have give it a lot of thought and I;ll just have to try and find the answers elsewhere i guess.:)

teeps
30-10-2009, 14:23 PM
rent a room is £4250 per annum tax free

sonic69
30-10-2009, 14:26 PM
rent a room is £4250 per annum tax free

I know but need to know if a someone you are cohabiting with can qualify as a lodger....????

Emma1973
30-10-2009, 17:17 PM
As an aside has she thought about the wider implications? Loss of Child Tax Credits, EMA if appropriate? You will be expected to support her and the kids. What if she lost her job? She wouldnt be able to claim LHA, and if she did claim contributory benefits such as JSA she would lose them at the end of 6 months, and you would have to fully support her.

jeffrey
01-11-2009, 22:00 PM
the law commision is considering changing the law on cohabitation to make it equal to marriage after a certain period of being together. considering that all other euopean countries and others recognise living together as the same sort of commitment it won't be long before UK follows suite.
Pedant's note
The Law Commission:
a. operates only within E&W (not Scotland, with its own Scottish Law Commission, nor N. Ireland); and
b. does not make law but only recommends changes.

jeffrey
01-11-2009, 22:02 PM
Okay, would a cohabitation agreement not cover the same area, or would the will be a cheaper way of declaring the just that.
Note that the Agreement will not be cast-iron and may need later alterations as circumstances change.