PDA

View Full Version : British Gas PropertyCare

dhphoto
24-04-2006, 17:07 PM
Is this any good?

They will apparently cover all gas, plumbing & electrical problems for a reasonable fee and do the Certificates too.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

David

MrWoof
24-04-2006, 17:19 PM
Have you really used "British Gas" and "reasonable fee" in the same post.:eek:

dhphoto
24-04-2006, 17:39 PM
Seemed reasonable to me as it (apparently) includes virtually unlimited parts and labour

MrWoof
24-04-2006, 18:11 PM
Being serious, I have had their adverts as well but when I looked at how much I have actually spent over the past few years and how much I am likely to spend in an emergency, it wasn't worth it. It does give you peace of mind though but check thoroughly just what they will cover and more importantly, what they don't.

dhphoto
24-04-2006, 19:10 PM
They seem to cover most things that would occur in an emergency and considering the cost of one call-out (plus parts of course) it didn't seem bad, and of course entirely tax deductable.

The main benefit that I see is that they WILL turn up, which is more than you can say for most tradesmen these days.

I would be grateful for input from those who are already members

RichieP
24-04-2006, 19:56 PM
The main benefit that I see is that they WILL turn up

I like your optimism. We decided to use this when I worked for a housing association. They sub-contract most of the work and guess what, half of them never turned up.

investments
25-04-2006, 11:08 AM
As a letting agent, we have some properties that have the BG 3 star contracts, some with added extras such as drains, electrics etc.

We have found that it has been beneficial in cases whereby boilers which are mid-age have started to play up, as the call out of normal plumbers with labour is often high and it has therefore been cost effective, but most of the time the savings are low. However, it does give great peace of mind for the tenants, and also less hassle as they can contact them directly.

The contractors do not always turn up either - in busy times (ie. winter when our tenants really need the heating) they have to prioritise to people that are old or have children, so delays can occur. They also do not prioritise gas safety certificates in the way they should - we recently had a 5 week delay on a property which should have had the gas safety done, which is ridiculous considering the potential consequences.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, although in some circumstances (few) it has been cost effective, or beneficial in the way that the tenants can deal with it, and have peace of mind. It would depend on your priorities.

investments
25-04-2006, 11:09 AM
As a letting agent, we have some properties that have the BG 3 star contracts, some with added extras such as drains, electrics etc.

We have found that it has been beneficial in cases whereby boilers which are mid-age have started to play up, as the call out of normal plumbers with labour is often high and it has therefore been cost effective, but most of the time the savings are low. However, it does give great peace of mind for the tenants, and also less hassle as they can contact them directly.

The contractors do not always turn up either - in busy times (ie. winter when our tenants really need the heating) they have to prioritise to people that are old or have children, so delays can occur. They also do not prioritise gas safety certificates in the way they should - we recently had a 5 week delay on a property which should have had the gas safety done, which is ridiculous considering the potential consequences.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, although in some circumstances (few) it has been cost effective, or beneficial in the way that the tenants can deal with it, and have peace of mind. It would depend on your priorities.

dhphoto
25-04-2006, 16:15 PM
They sub-contract most of the work and guess what, half of them never turned up.

This is not good, thank you for the input.

Looks like I may have wasted my money, but I am so frustrated with independently-arranged tradesmen not turning up I thought this might be a good idea.

Perhaps not

David

MrWoof
25-04-2006, 21:23 PM
Best way is to get out and about to meet tradesmen socially, also, the golden rule, personal recommendation.

dhphoto
26-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Best way is to get out and about to meet tradesmen socially, also, the golden rule, personal recommendation.

Meet tradesmen socially! Unlikely, is there a pub specially for plumbers then?

Personal recommendation! I don't know anyone who has good enough experiences to recommend anyone!

dhphoto
27-04-2006, 12:40 PM
I receive a letter in the post today saying I have asked to remove the boiler from its contract!

Have I? No.

Apparently, even though the boiler is working fine, has a full parts list, a gas safety certificate and an ok from the gas engineer, it is no longer covered under the PropertyCare agreement...why?

I don't know. I can't get past the telephone people to talk to anyone senior to find out.

Dealing with British Gas really is like dealing with governments or Councils, they simply have no idea what they are doing, and I have no boiler cover, again

Aaaargh!!

David