PDA

View Full Version : Landlord cannot charge for their own time

stresshead
29-10-2009, 13:30 PM
I am sure I have read a few times on these boards that a LL cannot charge for their own time...but the search function is not throwing up any useful results. Is this the case?

If so, I have a question as my AST has this clause:

"Pay to the Landlord £150 for the cost of preparing an inventory check out report at the Termination of the Tenancy and to pay to the Landlord any additional expense incurred by the Landlord in checking out the said inventory (which cannot be checked off until all the goods belonging to the Tenant or members of his household have been removed). "

They are a private LL (not via an agency). They do not use a third party inventory clerk, but instead someone from the accounts dept (!) actually carries out all the check out reports in-house.

Is this charging for their own time? Seems a bit steep to me.

mind the gap
29-10-2009, 13:38 PM
£150 for preparing an inventory does sound steep - have you signed this contract yet, or not? If not, i would question it. If you signed it when you moved in and are now moving out, I doubt there is much you can do at this point.

It is not really significant whether the LL himself prepares the inventory or someone else - what matters to you as customer is that you should get value for money. If you feel that you are being ripped off here, do not rent from this LL.

Ls are allowed to charge for their own time - I think a figure of £9.25 per hour was cited recently as being reasonable (depending on the nature of the task and LL's level of expertise).

jeffrey
29-10-2009, 13:44 PM
Ouch! My eyes hurt at the sight of line 2 of post #2.

stresshead
29-10-2009, 13:44 PM
£150 for preparing an inventory does sound steep - have you signed this contract yet, or not?

Yeah we already signed it, we're in the process of getting our deposit back, but we haven't received any communication form them (nor the checkout report, which we've paid £150 for!) We did query it but they wouldn't budge on the price....didn't get to see the AST until it was too late to find another place. Ho, hum, at the least the new one is only £50!

Paul_f
29-10-2009, 15:18 PM
"Pay to the Landlord £150 for the cost of preparing an inventory check out report at the Termination of the Tenancy and to pay to the Landlord any additional expense incurred by the Landlord in checking out the said inventory (which cannot be checked off until all the goods belonging to the Tenant or members of his household have been removed)."Whilst the £150 is excessive, the bit about unspecified additional amounts cannot be justified as it has not been capped, and I doubt if you can be forced to pay anymore than you have agreed to in the TA.