PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning - less than weekly?

GJMSurrey
27-10-2009, 20:25 PM
Hi everyone.

I will rent 4 rooms to separate individuals (separate ASTs). The communal areas are living room, kitchen, bathrooms and hallway (so it is classed as an HMO).

One thing throwing out my figures is cleaning... If I get a cleaner in once a week this will amount to £100+ a month I suppose.

I wondered, is it realistic that the tennants clean the communal areas (with myself perhaps arranging for a once or twice monthly clean to keep thing under some sort of back up control).

Or is it a thick and fast rule that of course I should provide cleaning weekly.

Thanks

Paul_f
27-10-2009, 20:29 PM
As an HMO it is your responsibility to make sure communal areas are properly "serviced". Factor in the cost when setting your rents. Cleaning can be done as and when necessary.

mind the gap
27-10-2009, 20:57 PM
Cleaning can be done as and when necessary.

:confused:Only if done on an ad hoc basis by the LL who presumably has time on his hands. Most professional cleaners prefer to work to a schedule and do so many hours weekly/fortnightly, or whatever.

OP, it is not OK to make the tenants responsible (even if you offer to lower the rent to reflect it) - they won't do it. Friends in a joint tenancy find it hard enough to do the cleaning of shared areas - it would be even less likely to happen when they hardly know each other. There is often no sense of community/shared space, especially with a shifting population as you often get in an HMO.

GJMSurrey
28-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Thank you both for the comments, it is as suspected.

I guess myself (or an agent on behalf of myself) can enter the property any reasonable time to do the cleaning. I know that I cannot enter tennants private areas!