PDA

View Full Version : LL refuses to return deposit

stresshead
27-10-2009, 13:53 PM
Hi all,

My previous LL is refusing to return my deposit until I forward on confirmation from all the utility providers that the bills are paid and up to date. I have bills from the electric and gas which I can send on no problem. I'm paid up on everything of course and have been sent all the final bills, but the water and council tax are missing. I had mail forwarding put on but I'm pretty sure that because of the Royal Mail industrial action, the bills are at the old property or stuck in the post! What can I do? it's been over a week since I moved out and I could really do with the money.

EDIT: Had a 12month AST, moved out on 19th, was told checkout went fine (no deductions for damage) but no confirmation of deposit sum, deposit held with mydeposits.

Also, LL is ignoring requests to verify the amount being refunded. Mydeposits.co.uk says they have 10 days to return the deposit assuming that we have agreed the amount - -which we haven't. this could go on indefinitely surely???

havensRus
27-10-2009, 20:23 PM
Hi all,

My previous LL is refusing to return my deposit until I forward on confirmation from all the utility providers that the bills are paid and up to date. I have bills from the electric and gas which I can send on no problem. I'm paid up on everything of course and have been sent all the final bills, but the water and council tax are missing. I had mail forwarding put on but I'm pretty sure that because of the Royal Mail industrial action, the bills are at the old property or stuck in the post! What can I do? it's been over a week since I moved out and I could really do with the money.

Does your AST include this condition... confirming all utilities paid up?
If so, then forward whatever information you have with a cover letter.

Write to LL, requesting your full deposit back, get proof of postage.
Mydeposits Information for Tenants states that "Your landlord/agent must attempt to agree with you the deposit amount that should be returned to you. If you are unable to agree, you should formally ask for your deposit to be returned to you and keep evidence of this request"

If s/he still does not respond, then you need to follow the procedure for notifying Mydeposts of a dispute.

Mydeposits.co.uk says they have 10 days to return the deposit assuming that we have agreed the amount - -which we haven't. this could go on indefinitely surely???
No it can't. Follow the instructions for notification of dispute.

stresshead
28-10-2009, 13:58 PM
Does your AST include this condition... confirming all utilities paid up?

The contract says:

If a deposit is paid it shall be retained by the Landlord as security for performance of the Tenant's obligations and shall be repayable to the Tenant only after verification that all utility bills have been settled at the end of the Tenancy and after deduction there from of any sums required to compensate the Landlord whether wholly or in part for any breach of obligation on the Tenant's part.

If so, then forward whatever information you have with a cover letter.[/I][/COLOR][/I]"

I have now emailed all the utility bills. Still had no response from them though. Have kept all correspondance with them over email - they did respond initially and said that the checkout went well and the deposit would be refunded in full into my partners account. But now they'er just ignoring me and my requests to confirm how much of the deposit we can expect back.

westminster
28-10-2009, 15:07 PM
Also, LL is ignoring requests to verify the amount being refunded. Mydeposits.co.uk says they have 10 days to return the deposit assuming that we have agreed the amount - -which we haven't. this could go on indefinitely surely???

If, after 10 days, you haven't reached an agreement, then follow dispute procedure

http://mydeposits.co.uk/tenants/tenant-how_it_works3-dispute.htm