PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Toilet

stresshead
22-10-2009, 20:49 PM
We've just moved in and have discovered that the water in the toilet cistern is being filled with hot water. It's not just a bit warm - the other day the toilet bowl was literally steaming!! Apart from making going to the loo a sometimes unpleasant experience, this seems like an awful waste of energy/money.

The mixer taps in the same bathroom are mixed up as well, so I think the plumber has just managed to mix up hot/cold :rolleyes: Apart from this, the toilet/taps work well so is it reasonable too expect the landlord to fix?

havensRus
22-10-2009, 22:08 PM
Report problem to your landlord asap so it can be fixed. You are the one that is paying the hotwater/heating bill ....

Subway
22-10-2009, 23:30 PM
Check this isn't the problem. I know your description doesn't sound so like this but I always remember this horrific story and would hate for it to repeat.

I have had a thermostat fail in my own home and steam from the tank caused the header tank to boil although thankfully caught before it burst. I don't remember the toilet being hot but I presume it would have been as all were fed from the same tank.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23431181-water-tank-fault-that-scalded-baby-girl-to-death-was-known-to-be-unreliable.do

mind the gap
23-10-2009, 07:13 AM
It sounds like the stuff of (not very good) horror films.

Very unhealthy I would assume, since many germs multiply faster in warm conditions. However, if they are being boiled alive, maybe it's better than flushing with cold water?

Definitely a H & S issue if someone risks being scalded, plus a waste of energy as suggested by Subway.

Ericthelobster
23-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Check this isn't the problem. I know your description doesn't sound so like this but I always remember this horrific story and would hate for it to repeat. Unlikely as the H & C feeds are swapped over at the bathroom sink too.

westminster
23-10-2009, 13:16 PM
Apart from this, the toilet/taps work well so is it reasonable too expect the landlord to fix?
Yes, the landlord should fix it. Report the problem by phone, then confirm report in writing, with proof of postage, just in case it turns into a saga.