PDA

View Full Version : Notice Period Query

ttcharlie
21-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I have tenants in a property under a 6 month assured shorthold tenancy agreement which began on 1 December 2005 and is due to end on 31 May 2006.

Notice period:
How do I stand regarding giving notice to my tenants should I wish to sell the house in a few months time?

If the tenancy ends of 31 May do I have to give them any notice at all? I have heard that you need to give tenants two months notice.. would this apply?

Any clarification regarding notice periods would be greatly appreciated.

Extending agreement:
If I decide not to sell yet, am I able to renew their tenancy on a monthly basis rather than commit to six months? Would I need another type of agreement drawn up by a solicitor?

Energise
21-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I have tenants in a property under a 6 month assured shorthold tenancy agreement which began on 1 December 2005 and is due to end on 31 May 2006.

Notice period:
How do I stand regarding giving notice to my tenants should I wish to sell the house in a few months time?

If the tenancy ends of 31 May do I have to give them any notice at all? I have heard that you need to give tenants two months notice.. would this apply?

Yes you have give 2 months notice under S.21 of the 1988/96 Housing Act.
(but your tenants do not have to give any notice to you to leave at the of the fixed term)

Any clarification regarding notice periods would be greatly appreciated.

Extending agreement:
If I decide not to sell yet, am I able to renew their tenancy on a monthly basis rather than commit to six months? Would I need another type of agreement drawn up by a solicitor?

This would happen automatically no action needs to be taken.

MrWoof
21-04-2006, 13:02 PM
You can serve a section 21 notice at any time, if you serve it before the end of the initial term, the possession date can be 'after' any date more than two months after the notice is served. If you serve it after May 31st then the end date must say 'after' and the last date of the month concerned, still giving two months notice. Note that this two month period is a minimum, serving notice on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday counts as service on the next working day. There is a section 21 notice heading towards your email address. As for renewing on a monthly basis, no, but you can simply let the tenancy continue as a periodic one, no further paperwork required.