PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use Tenant Work Address for Court Papers

yewtree
20-10-2009, 17:47 PM
Hi

Thought this question must have been asked before so have searched db but cannot find a previous answer. Quick question:-

Tenant left without paying 3 months rent after I served notices. Refuses to provide forwarding address or pay. However I know the work address I have is good. Can I pursue recovery using this address to send letters and serve as I expect legal papers.

Getting the money would be very useful but I am realistic, I now want the CCJ registered on them so as to make it in theory for them to cheat anyone else.

If I get the money it will be a bonus. Can someone guide me. Thanks.

westminster
20-10-2009, 18:13 PM
Tenant left without paying 3 months rent after I served notices. Refuses to provide forwarding address or pay. However I know the work address I have is good. Can I pursue recovery using this address to send letters and serve as I expect legal papers.

You would need to apply to the court for permission to serve the claim by post to a work address. Explain why it's necessary, provide any evidence you might have that defendant works at the address, etc.

The alternative is to hire what's called a Process Server to serve the claim personally, i.e. physically hand the claim to the defendant.

BTW, as the defendant is employed, you have a good chance of getting your money. You can enforce the CCJ with an attachment of earnings (i.e. get money deducted from his wages).

yewtree
31-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Sorry been away. Just wanted to say thank you very much for the clear advice. I plan to proceed and see if I can come to some arrangement with person. Assuming not, then approach court. They work for a very reputable company so one hopes that this may help.

Thank you again.

quarterday
31-10-2009, 16:51 PM
mark your letter private and confidential. you dont want to be criticised for harassment of the tenant by trying to blacken his name with his employers

westminster
31-10-2009, 17:39 PM
Sorry been away. Just wanted to say thank you very much for the clear advice. I plan to proceed and see if I can come to some arrangement with person. Assuming not, then approach court. They work for a very reputable company so one hopes that this may help.

It will certainly help in terms of enforcing a CCJ but that's all. I second quarterday's comment; all written contact must be marked Private & Confidential. If you obtain permission from the court to serve the claim by post to T's work address, they will probably make it a condition that it is marked Private & Confidential.