PDA

View Full Version : LA expectations

John J
20-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I've just returned from accompanying my son view a flat.

Now I'm not too sure if I'm expecting too much from a LA, but I was surprised at the low standard of service:

1)The LA didn't know how to get into the flat – she wouldn't phone her office to find out if anyone knew or if the L was contactable. We ended up having to come back later.

2)She 'wasn't sure' what furnishings were included – she would send us the inventory if we agreed to take the flat.

3)She 'wasn't sure' what the Council Tax band was applicable.

4)She 'wasn't sure' who managed the property, L or LA.

5)She had no idea what the bills were.

6)She was clearly taken aback when we asked to see the EPC (which she didn't have).

7)She didn't have the room sizes (no real problem), but she wouldn't get the sizes for us,
telling us we'd have to come back with a tape-measure and measure it ourselves.

I'm about to let a couple of properties using a (different) LA, I would like to think that any prospective tenants of mine could have these questions answered by the LA. I've always worked in sales (not property sales!), I would always expect a sales-person to be helpful to the customer – that's how we got a sale.

Or am I expecting too much?

JJ

jeffrey
20-10-2009, 11:15 AM
The problem is that the Agent is L's agent. You/son, as T, therefore have no control. She sounds rubbish at her job. Don't use her services yourself.

mind the gap
20-10-2009, 11:24 AM
The problem is that there is a relatively high turnover of staff in LAs and many of the people who work there (especially the ones who conduct viewings) have minimal training and their pay reflects that.

I agree that this woman sounds particularly feeble and I wouldn't use her. It is really frustrating as a T to turn up for a viewing only to find the LA cannot get in or has forgotten - it happens too often. Another exasperating thing they sometimes do (whether by cock-up or conspiracy), is to conduct viewing even when the property has already been promised to someone else.

johnboy
20-10-2009, 16:43 PM
Trolling Trolling Trolling.

TenantsLuvMe
20-10-2009, 17:15 PM
I agree with all the above replies and would like to add the following.

The estate agency/letting agency industry (and sometimes the surveying/valuing field) in the UK is mainly populated with uneducated, untrained/poorly trained, often slippery and sometimes downright offensive barrow-boy-type staff, many of whom have no real intention of providing actual real service - but they are quite good at giving the impression of doing so to the untrained eye.

The owners of these so-called businesses care not one little jot about staff and push them hard as well as sticking them on commission only/mainly income "to motivate them".

There is widespread indifference to buyers, sellers, tenants, landlords - the only important party is the agency themselves, who are paid handsomely for doing not very much, and some have the attitude that everyone else should feel privileged to be dealing with them and what a honor it should be.

There are good agents of course and some fantastic ones, but these are the exceptions and not the rule.

The reason for all this is that there is and forever will be more people looking to buy/sell/rent/let than there is property available and no matter what the market is like, agent's repellent attitudes, practices and downright laziness and ineptitude continues to be the MO.

mind the gap
20-10-2009, 19:18 PM
Trolling Trolling Trolling.

Who is?

Why/How?