PDA

View Full Version : Landlord's gardener on my property

flashpants
20-04-2006, 18:32 PM
Hi any help appreciated!.

I told my landlord yesterday that I am planning on moving out as I am buying a house. I'm told it could take upto 10 weeks for the house purchase to go through and he was pretty cool about it as he wants to sell the property I'm renting. I said all I need it to be able to rent upto the move and might even have to pay for a few weeks more if my purchase fell mid month as he only asked for a months notice.

My landlord asked if he could make a start on the garden doing it up whilst we are still tenanting and I said that I was sure we could come to an arrangement and will discuss.

The problem I have is that I came home to find a guy looking over my fence. My landlord instructed him to come look at the garden and fix it up for his sale. He told me my Landlord wanted him to do the garden up asap. I was annoyed that I wasn't informed and spoke with my landlord who said that as well as the garden he planned to paint the outside of the house and stick a for sale sign up outside. We had a discussion over the fact I dont want strangers turning up on my doorstep and that he should be discussing these things first with me. He hung up.

Sorry for long post but it seems that I thought he was cool but am sensing I'm going to have problems.

I dont want to be funny back but I dont want my tenancy intruded without my knowledge and need some facts that I can throw back at him.

Cheers

Flash.

Jennifer_M
20-04-2006, 19:48 PM
Come on you have to be fair here, you're expecting your landlord to be kind of flexible and accomodating over your house purchase but you don't want to help him out minimising his loss once you've moved by allowing a gardener to do up the garden and a painter to paint up the house ?

These things aren't exactly going to affect your peace (the garden maybe a little if you use it a lot but I'd guess you don't if it needs fixing).
The visits once it's up for sale would have to be agreed with you and you can all agree on a convenient time for you.

I'd guess your landlord would have felt you were a bit ungrateful.

Paul_f
21-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm with Jennifer here!

Although your rights are that you don't have to accommodate the landlord's wishes and he is in fact breaching the Protection from Eviciton Act 1977 by putting up the for sale board, but you are asking him to be flexible concerning potential moving dates! Methinks you doth protest too much!