PDA

View Full Version : Question from a tenant

SteveBrooke
15-10-2009, 12:03 PM
I am a tenant for 21 years & major structural repairs were required - replacement on Kitchen floor/cellar celling to outside leaking pipes. As the landlady owns the property next door where the same repairs were required, a builder was employed to replace kitchen floors in both houses.
Work commenced 3 weeks ago & although my kitchen floor is back, dust & dirt spread throughout the house. I was told at 5.30pm on 21/09/09 to clear my kitchen as work would start next day at 9.30am - little time to protect my brand new carpets & possessions. I asked the builder for a completion date & he said he could not tell me at this stage. So I have had no cooking facilities & none for the immediate future.
I have been very accommodating & trying to understand the builder, but I am getting frustrated with the excessive cleaning I have to do to protect my goods & having no cooking facilities.
Could someone please point me to my legal rights as a tenant.
Thank you in anticipation!

theartfullodger
15-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Understand you've been there 21 years.

Was that with just the original tenancy agreement? I.E., what was the date of the last new tenancy agreement you signed??? (The date has implications as to your rights).

Cheers!

Lodger

SteveBrooke
15-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I have an old fashioned rent book, packaged away in a storage box, but can't get to at the moment & the property has been fair rent assessed twice, most recently April 2009. I don't remember a tenancy agreement. I just post a cheque monthly.
Thanks for your reply.

jeffrey
15-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Most likely, you are a Rent Act 1977 tenant. Your rights are far greater than under the Housing Act 1988.
Perhaps contact your Local Authority's Tenant Harassment Advisors (or whatever title is used)?

theartfullodger
15-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I have an old fashioned rent book, packaged away in a storage box,

That may be quite valuable in proving your rights showing how long you've been there etc. etc.

westminster
15-10-2009, 12:52 PM
See link

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/disruption_and_poor_work