PDA

View Full Version : Quick HMO query

tenants lager
20-04-2006, 09:18 AM
My friend is soon to be out of his rented flat (the landlord now wants to sell). A group of us have been friends for years and decided it would be a good idea to share tenancy. We are looking for somewhere for two couples and one other tenant. I know HMO laws state that no more than two unrelated people can share tenancy without an HMO license.

We are all 20-25 and this is a completely new stepping stone for us. Is there any way for us to get a lease somehwere?

Any help is mucho appreciated.

Thanks

Jennifer_M
20-04-2006, 09:50 AM
As a tenant the HMO licensing shouldn't be of concern to you, it is the landlord who has to make sure that everything is in good order.
You just basically need to find a place where you can all live together. Many landlords rent out properties that are classed as HMO, just make sure your prospective landlord isn't one who cuts corners.

tenants lager
20-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure how many HMO licensed houses will be in my area because I'm from near Glasgow, but would prefer to live outside the city centre.

Thank you for the advice

Energise
20-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I know HMO laws state that no more than two unrelated people can share tenancy without an HMO license.

Not all HMO's need to be licensed a general rule is (but local authorities can make additions).

People 5 or more,
+
Floors 3 or more,
+
Households 2 or more.
=
Licence

I would suspect that the majority of properties supporting 5 people would not be 3 or more floors.

tenants lager
20-04-2006, 10:49 AM
So if 5 of us (unrealated) got a 4-5 bedroom bungalow, an HMO would not be required?

If that's correct that is very good news.

Energise
20-04-2006, 10:57 AM
So if 5 of us (unrealated) got a 4-5 bedroom bungalow, an HMO would not be required?

If that's correct that is very good news.

Bungalow or 2 storey, it would be a HMO but not a licenceable HMO.

tenants lager
20-04-2006, 11:01 AM
So, what requirements (although not a licenseable HMO) must be met by the landlord?

Is it unlikely, as a landlord, he would agree to the terms of 5, 20-25 year old professionals looking to share accomodation in a house?

(I am treading on new water here, thanks for the replies)

caroline7758
20-04-2006, 11:53 AM
You sound like a pretty good bet to me- the word professional is one lots of landlords use to say they don't want people on benefits!

Jennifer_M
20-04-2006, 12:03 PM
There are plenty of landlords renting rooms out in 4-5 bedroom properties, be it to students or professionals.

Start with going to a few (good) letting agents with your requirements and they might well find you the right property.

tenants lager
20-04-2006, 13:07 PM
you guys have been a really great help, and I have a clearer idea what i'm going for now.

Thanks very much! :cool: