PDA

View Full Version : Air Brick/ Cat Pee/ Slug Problem (This is not a joke)

70% of take home on rent
19-04-2006, 22:39 PM
Hi all

My partner, little boy and I are renting a property at the moment and for a while we have noticed the subtle aroma of catpiss wafting into our bedroom. Recently we also noticed silvery trails along the bedroom floor.

Turns out there is an air brick leading into the bedroom and a bit of a gap leading from the air brick to the house. This air brick seems to be frequented by every cat in Essex and our bedroom has turned into a slugs adventure playground. We keep our home spotless as we choose to work rather than claim benefits and therefore have no money to go out.....ever.

The carpet is really badly stained by the slug juice.

My problems/questions are these.

1) Will I need to pay for the damage caused to the carpet?

2) Can I reasonable ask for my landlord to look into covering the air brick?

3) Is there any health risk from slugs?

Finally

4) Do any of you know of a mortgage lender that will lend based on what I can pay rather than what I earn. I ask as for 18 months I have been paying £600.00 per month rent (at 2 propertys). I have never missed a payment and would love one day to own my own cat smelling, slug invested hovel rather than paying somebody elses mortage.

Yours, emotionally,

Jim

Worldlife
20-04-2006, 10:57 AM
It would seem commonsense to apply a cat repellant over areas subject to tomcat squirts and similarly there are baits that can be used to kill excess slugs that probably originate from the garden area.

One wonders why the slugs should be so attracted to come indoors - the worse scenario I saw was where a woman with Alzheimers disease kept on adding uneaten bowls of dog food and slugs had a convenient way into the property through a cat door.

When did you inform the landlord of this problem and what was his/her reaction or advice?

"The carpet is really badly stained by the slug juice."

IMHO this is a problem that should and could have been resolved at a much earlier stage. So who is responsible for the failure to take action?

On the information provided so far I think the landlord may well hold back some of your deposit to pay for necessary cleaning or replacement.

As far as I am aware it is not mandatory for a landlord to flyscreen airbricks.

Slugs being garden creatures are not normally regarded as a health risk. Many health departments would not deal with them if affecting food

Stones, soil & slugs

Fruit and vegetables commonly have soil, stones or small slugs adhering to them. This is quite normal as they originate in the soil.

No public health risk

Action: wash fruit and vegetables thoroughly

Having seen some slugs feeding on dog faeces I wouldn't like them in the house!

A reputable mortgage broker may be able to help you find a mortgage meeting your particular circumstances but you will need to provide full financial details. If your take home pay is in the region of £12,000 p.a. you will probably need a substantial deposit and your choice of area and type of property would be very limited.

PaulF
20-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Slugs don't normally damage carpets, they just leave "snail trails". They are quite harmless but a nuisance, and they only like damp conditions! If there is a defect in the structure of the property the landlord should look into this but there might not be!

You shouldn't cover up an airbrick, it's there for a purpose. If cats are spraying outside against the airbrick then get a cat repellant spray from your local hardware store. Agricultural suppliers might even have a better one.

As far as a mortgage is concerned ask a local mortgage advisor, it's free after all!

PaulF
20-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Slugs don't normally damage carpets, they just leave "snail trails". They are quite harmless but a nuisance, and they only like damp conditions! If there is a defect in the structure of the property the landlord should look into this but there might not be!

You shouldn't cover up an airbrick, it's there for a purpose. If cats are spraying outside against the airbrick then get a cat repellant spray from your local hardware store. Agricultural suppliers might even have a better one.

As far as a mortgage is concerned ask a local mortgage advisor, it's free after all!

70% of take home on rent
20-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Thank you both for your help. It is really appreciated.

caroline7758
20-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Have you looked into "shared ownership" schemes at all? Take care, though, they are not right for everyone. A great site for tips on all kinds of money saving tips and financial advice is moneysavingexpert.com. Lots of stuff on mortgages there.

We get snail trails because we have a cellar. They are a nuisance but have never stained the carpet- we just hoover them off.

As for the cats, try getting hold of a "scaredy cat plant"- can't remember the real name but I'm sure you could google it.

Good luck with it all!

70% of take home on rent
20-04-2006, 14:00 PM
As for the cats, try getting hold of a "scaredy cat plant"
Good luck with it all!

Guess what my mother has just turned uo to the house with! Thanks again.

islandgirl
20-04-2006, 17:37 PM
for the cats try "get off my garden" spray - pet shops may have it. Lots of others available. My dad used to use lemonade bottles filled with water - apparently it deters them though noone knows why! I would put a fine mesh grill against the airbrick - just lean it there - no damage to property and may keep your visitors out! Hopefully no damage to carpet. Hope you manage to sort a mortgage and get your own place soon.

Worldlife
20-04-2006, 19:00 PM
Good luck with the plant.....

Excellent review here of Coleus canina (http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/green_up_your_fingers/unwanted_visitors_how_to_deter_cats.htm)