PDA

View Full Version : Another Deposit Issue

Special10
18-04-2006, 17:58 PM
Sorry...Tried to get an answer from other threads but wasn't forthcoming unfortunately!

I moved out recently, leaving the flat in good order (i.e I spent 2 days cleaning it!)

The carpet (cream - :confused: ) had a few dirty marks on it and so probably would need a clean.

My grump is threefold...

1) The agents have gone and paid for the carpet cleaning and other cleaning without discussing it with me first. Surely they should have at least informed me they were doing this? After all it is my money (the deposit) they are using to clean it.

2) The flat wasn't very clean when I moved in (mouldy curtains, rubbish under beds, dirty dishes in cupboards), so I feel it's a bit cheeky that they are criticising my handywork!

3) We didn't have a working oven for 2 months, the tv aerial didn't work, the shower didn't have any pressure so wasn't any use for the first 3 months and the previous tenants left holes in the doors/walls. Again I feel it's a bit cheeky that we are being pulled up on this when we didn't have full use of the flat's amenities at various points (and yes we complained - 4 calls a week a one point!)

Do I have any chance of winning this argument (and getting some more of my deposit back - I stand to lose £120 of a £450 deposit) or should I just moan a bit but ultimately put it down to experience?

Thoughts?

Jonboy
18-04-2006, 23:27 PM
2) The flat wasn't very clean when I moved in (mouldy curtains, rubbish under beds, dirty dishes in cupboards), so I feel it's a bit cheeky that they are criticising my handywork! no point bringing these things up at the end of a tenacy, put it in writing at the start, (put that down to experience)

1) The agents have gone and paid for the carpet cleaning and other cleaning without discussing it with me first. Surely they should have at least informed me they were doing this? After all it is my money (the deposit) they are using to clean it.
you can contest unfair charges if you feel they have not been fair, again experience, as the best thing to do is have an inspection at which you are present and get the agent/landlord to put in writing that they are happy with condition.

3) We didn't have a working oven for 2 months, the tv aerial didn't work, the shower didn't have any pressure so wasn't any use for the first 3 months and the previous tenants left holes in the doors/walls. Again I feel it's a bit cheeky that we are being pulled up on this when we didn't have full use of the flat's amenities at various points (and yes we complained - 4 calls a week a one point!)
again no point complaining now, should have gone for something at the time, unfortunately i like you trust to the reasonability and good will of other people, unfortunatley it is all too often not forthcoming.

Do I have any chance of winning this argument (and getting some more of my deposit back - I stand to lose £120 of a £450 deposit) or should I just moan a bit but ultimately put it down to experience? yes a chance, depend how hard you want to fight...

good luck with it