PDA

View Full Version : T is claiming benefits- but has waited over 2 months

adib
25-09-2009, 21:12 PM
My tenant has told me she has put an application through with my local council this ahs been about 4 months yet no payment has come to me.I ahve written to the council directly to pay me as after 2 months unpaid rent I am supposed to be paid directly, However the council have ignored my letter and has been 2 weeks since I have heard anything. I didn't mind keeping the tenant on as long as I ahd some money but now it has been 3 months unpaid rent and no news. Any advice on how to chase the council, I found my council very unreasonable neither much help from the council to landlords which is very unfair.

havensRus
25-09-2009, 21:20 PM
Have you called the Housing benefit office directly to confirm that your letter has been received? or that T has indeed claimed HB or if it has been approved? They will not discuss the claim with you without T's authorisation, but can at least tell you if there is a claim or if it has been approved or if T has been paid.

You will have to fight very hard to get heard by the HB office. They will protect the T at all cost.

You should read the posts on the LHA/HB section for enlightenment.

Snorkerz
25-09-2009, 23:47 PM
The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 (SI 213 Reg 89) provides for the local authority to make a decision on Housing Benefit claims within 14 days of all necessary documents being provided to them. If that timescale is exceeded, your tenant can request a payment on account of Rent Allowance under Regulation 93. (ie - an advance).

If you serve a Section 8 notice it will speed up the claim in most cases.

Also, your tenant can authorise the authority to deal with you so that you can keep your finger on the pulse and provide info for the decision makers as soon as a problem is discovered.

adib
28-09-2009, 18:39 PM
Hi, thanks for reply. I received a letter from council.they are asking me for proof evidence of the tenant being 8 weeks in rent. I have a schedule of payments received and my section 8 would that be sufficient enough. The tenant states she will not help me as the council are stopping her benefits completely. So she has bene getting money rather than paying what she owes me.

tom999
28-09-2009, 18:53 PM
I received a letter from council.they are asking me for proof evidence of the tenant being 8 weeks in rent. I have a schedule of payments received and my section 8 would that be sufficient enoughThink you mean 8 weeks in rent arrears. A rental statement with the following column headings: Date Due, Rent Due, Rent Paid, Balance Due, should be sufficient proof. If rent paid into a bank, then statements may also be a good idea.

The tenant states she will not help me as the council are stopping her benefits completely.If tenant has given written permission to discuss claim with local authority then communicate directly with them.