PDA

View Full Version : landlord knocking down part of my house to build another

lisa1664
12-04-2006, 13:23 PM
hi im new to these forums and would be grateful for any advice i could get, i moved into a 3 bed semi with loads of land on a long term ast for 2 years which runs out 2008 i have recently found out that the landlord has just been granted planning permission to knock down part of my house and build another property directly onto the side of our property we will loose the garage and most of our garden all of our lovely kitchen and our downstairs loo, im not one for complaining but i think its beyond a joke when the landlord doesnt even have the decency to come and talk to us about this build instead i have to be informed by one of neighbours who say that there was a meeting i could have gone to put in my views where do i stand with all this as im very disappointed to find all this out now originally the planning was turned down but now he has appealled it seems he got what he wanted in the first place

sorry for such a nag just needed to get it all of my chest

catcuddler
12-04-2006, 21:17 PM
You may be worrying unnecessarily. Permission has been granted, but maybe the Landlord does not intend carrying out work until your tenancy is at end and you have moved on? Planning permissions are live for a number of years eg 5 years, and maybe the Landlord does not intend to start work for quite a while. For instance, they might be short of cash and so can't afford to build! Or maybe they don't intend to build at all but have sought PP to add some value to their house if they later decide to sell. Obviously this won't put your mind at rest until you have spoken to the Landlord.....

MrShed
13-04-2006, 00:39 AM
Must agree with CC....I suspect they would have a hard time doing the proposed changes whilst you are still a tenant, based upon the tenancy supplied to you. The landlord has no obligation to consult such matters with you, he may just be preparing(and probably is) for when your AST is complete.

lisa1664
13-04-2006, 16:06 PM
hi thanks for all the info and replies my landlord last night offered me alternative accomodation so he can start the build work in 6 weeks so he isnt loosing money he is planning on renting both properties out and the longer it takes him to do it the more he is loosing so im not sure on what to do next any advice is much appreciated

MrShed
13-04-2006, 16:52 PM
Well I take it that you do not wish to take the alternative accomodation?

lisa1664
20-04-2006, 20:00 PM
hi thanks for the info i really didt want to take the alternative accomodation as it is 50 miles away from where we are living now and its hard for work and schools etc he says it dangerous to have people living on a building site and needs us out of the way to get on but im really holding back on this one and hoping he will change his mind till the end of the ast to no avail (i know its daft expecting a miracle) i just hope he sees sense before the builders turn up and start without knowing we are here

lisa1664
20-04-2006, 20:29 PM
hi thanks for the info i really didt want to take the alternative accomodation as it is 50 miles away from where we are living now and its hard for work and schools etc he says it dangerous to have people living on a building site and needs us out of the way to get on but im really holding back on this one and hoping he will change his mind till the end of the ast to no avail (i know its daft expecting a miracle) i just hope he sees sense before the builders turn up and start without knowing we are here

Energise
20-04-2006, 20:34 PM
hi im new to these forums and would be grateful for any advice i could get, i moved into a 3 bed semi with loads of land on a long term ast for 2 years which runs out 2008 i have recently found out that the landlord has just been granted planning permission to knock down part of my house and build another property directly onto the side of our property we will loose the garage and most of our garden all of our lovely kitchen and our downstairs loo.

He can not do this unless you permit it, it is effectivley your property until the end of the AST.

lisa1664
20-04-2006, 20:39 PM
i thought that today he came to see me and was really disappointed to see i had not even started packing or looking for somewhere else
whats more he said hre had given the builder my number to arrange a time to come and see me with regards to the building work and he will explain to me how long it will take and what sort of state the house will be in when we come back to it i told the LL i had consulted legal advice to try and put him off about the AST and he just laughed and said lets be resonable about this non of us want to be out of pocket or a home do we
its a voliatile situation that i kind of hoped would have been resolved by now

Energise
20-04-2006, 20:47 PM
i told the LL i had consulted legal advice to try and put him off about the AST and he just laughed and said lets be resonable about this non of us want to be out of pocket or a home do we its a voliatile situation that i kind of hoped would have been resolved by now

You are not being unreasonable, I have assumed that your AST is fixed term for 2 years in which case he cant evict you except for breach of contract.

You could always negotiate, rent free while the building work is in process and a suitably reduced rent after, or you could offer to let him buy you out of the contract

lisa1664
20-04-2006, 20:54 PM
the landlord has offered us cash to move to some where temp if i dont take his offer of a house in the area he has other properties, the original AST was a very old one which i didt get checked it has spelling mistakes tip ex marks all over and has very little information on it like other AST,s i have seen my own fault i know but the house was so nice and very resonable rent that he was just interested in taking the cash and giving us the keys at that time im not sure if the AST is even legal it didt get seen by a legal body just witnessed by the partner of his business which i found out is his brother
all the ASt states is that we are leasing that said property from 2006-2008 and we pay this much it says nothing about the norm ..... pets and repairs as such that we keep the interior to a high standard and that he will look after the rest of the outside gutters drains and a couple of phone numbers for people to contact in an emergency