PDA

View Full Version : Can T claim HB/LHA, on losing job, and in what way ?

e_londonvillage
21-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi all.
My tenant lives with her partner in one of my properties. They have been there 2 years, so don't want to lose them. Her partner lost his job on Friday and would like some advice to what benefits they could claim etc, particular to LHA, HB as with only one wage coming in, they would have to move out.
What have other landlords done/advice given to tenants etc as this is the first time one of my tenants has lost employment.
The property is a ground floor 2 bed Apt.
Any advice would be very much appricated.
Thanks David

jta
21-09-2009, 09:09 AM
If they have been responsible tenants in the past, then that is unlikely to change. You might have to resign yourself to waiting a couple of months while the claim goes through. Do not use their deposit in lieu of rent, that's not what it's for. If you are on good terms with them ask them to tell the LHA that you can be an interested party to their claim, and have permission to discuss it, that way you can be kept up to date on what's happening.

Snorkerz
21-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi all.
My tenant lives with her partner in one of my properties. They have been there 2 years, so don't want to lose them. Her partner lost his job on Friday and would like some advice to what benefits they could claim etc, particular to LHA, HB as with only one wage coming in, they would have to move out.
What have other landlords done/advice given to tenants etc as this is the first time one of my tenants has lost employment.
The property is a ground floor 2 bed Apt.
Any advice would be very much appricated.
Thanks David In my part of the world, if they were both out of work the most they'd get is arund £90 per week Housing Benefit as a couple - basically the LA will say they only need a 1-bed so they decide £90 is enough for 1 bedroom.

Ironically, if they weren't a couple, they'd get about £120 because the authority would then agree they need 2 bedrooms.

The actual figures vary from area to area due to housing costs differing (hence the 'Local' Housing allowance).

If you want to be really helpful, go with them to the Housing Office ASAP with copies of the tenancy agreement and a rent statement. Make sure Ts give the LA permission to deal with you, then if problems occur you can help out (T or yourself ;))

Snorkerz
21-09-2009, 09:15 AM
David, you have another identical thead. It's easier for you (and the forum members) to keep track of all the answers if you stick to just one.

Hopefully, the moderator will merge your two threads in the most appropriate section.

Emma1973
21-09-2009, 17:32 PM
Well hopefully he went down to the Job Centre today and signed on! I'll be brief cos theres quite a few variable here! If he was made redundant then he could sign on for Job Seekers Allowance Contribution Based. If he was sacked, then he may receive lower JSACB. If he hasnt paid enough NI credits over the past 2 years, he wont receive anything because of partner working!

He can also apply for LHA whilst he's there, again this will depend on savings, income from his partners work, and how much he receives in redundancy payments.

It really does all depend on his partners wages, as they are partners she will be expected to support him. He will not receive an automatic entitlement to LHA if he does receive JSACB, LHA is for means tested benefits only.

Michael Clayton
05-10-2009, 13:25 PM
Emma is correct here. It is very much a case of making a claim as soon as possible. There are various means of doing this i.e. personal visit or telephone call to local authority, DWP, Jobcentre Plus etc. DO NOT DELAY THE APPLICATION DUE TO A LACK OF SUPPORTING EVIDENCE.

In terms of the entitlement, there are too many variables but I can offer a very quick assessment once I know the parameters are known.

One such variable would be the postcode by which the Local Housing Allowance can be identified.

I would also remind readers about the existence of HB Regulation 93(1) (HB Regulation 74(1) for persons aged 60 and over) by which the local authority must make payments of HB within fourteen days.