PDA

View Full Version : Landlord turning off heating, hotwater during the day to save £££

tonynz
17-09-2009, 13:23 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what my rights are when my landlord turns off the hotwater and heating during the day to save money.

During the day, for those who are home- we have no hotwater, or heating. This means that we can not have showers or do our dishes during the day.

Is this legal? The landlord threatens us and tell us that this is due to an increase in utility costs and if we don't do this, he will just increase the rent.

Many thanks

dominic
17-09-2009, 13:35 PM
Do you lodge in the same property as your LL, or do you rent an entire property with other co-tenants (i.e. your LL does not reside in the same property?)

tonynz
17-09-2009, 13:36 PM
Do you lodge in the same property as your LL, or do you rent an entire property with other co-tenants (i.e. your LL does not reside in the same property?)

Landlord does not live in the property (even though he thinks he does and just rocks up to the property whenever he feels like to pick up the mail - but I guess this is a separate issue)

We rent the property as separate tenants and each individual have a separate lease agreement.

In my lease it states: (AS LANDLORD'S OBLIGATIONS) To pay all charges in respect of any electric, gas, water, and televisual services (as used in the communal living room) used at or supplied to the Property and Council Tax or any similar property
tax that might be charged in addition to or replacement of it during the Term.).

jeffrey
17-09-2009, 13:45 PM
Read s.11 of LTA 1985 AND whatever the AST says on the subject of hot water and heating. If L turns these off, he may be in breach.

dominic
17-09-2009, 13:47 PM
Then it would appear your LL is in breach of the tenancy agreement, as it seems to grant you an unqualified right to use these utilities without restriction, the landlord's obligation being to pay for them.

Read your tenancy agreement caerfully in case it does give LL further rights.

Depriving you of these utilities may amount to breach of quiet enjoyment (together with LL's impromptu visits especially), which potentially, as it is something known legally as a "repudiatory breach") gives you (the Ts) the right to rescind (end) the tenancy immediately and move out, unless you have continued to pay rent (without any reservation) since the LL's breach.

tonynz
17-09-2009, 14:03 PM
Many thanks - I've spoken to him regarding it before and he really just don't give it a damn.

I'll try speaking to him again regarding his breach of contracts.