PDA

View Full Version : Another gas safety question

gizzmo
09-04-2006, 15:00 PM
Hello
I recently had the gas safety inspection done on my property - and the engineer issued a certificate - but in the bottom section under Defects Identified he listed a few things such as:-
1) No Cooker Chain (I bought a brand new cooker just 6 months ago) - Not to current standards
2) Gas supply not sleeved or sealed through wall - Not to current standards
3) Compartment vents fitted with fly screen - Not to current standards
4) Flue terminal less than 1500mm below Air Brick - Not to current standards

So I am a little concerned - has the safety check passed or not - next to the appliances (cooker and boiler) he has stated they have passed - but do the above items mean that my property is not safe and therefore has not passed?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Additionally - I searched high and low to find a good price for gas safety inspections in London - ranging from £50-£80 until I eventually found this company which did a standard check with boiler and cooker for £35 incl VAT - bargain. I am not affiliated with this company in any way - but thought that I would share this info with other Londoners who may need to get one done in London. They also serviced my boiler for £35 all in as well.

http://landlordsgas.co.uk/index.html

Thanks
gizz

PaulF
10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
The Certificate was issued because it passed the necessary checks. It does indicate however that it is not 100% up to current standards and you might want to get this seen to!

strangey
15-04-2006, 14:48 PM
Gizzmo.
I'm sorry to inform you that if you have more than 2 concern for safety identifications, then this means that your property is AT RISK, so unless the proper paperwork was filled out with the landlord gas safety certificate, I am afraid it is not worth the paper it is written on, and if you as a landlord are still letting your tennant use the appliances you are responsible. I suppose you could say you get what you pay for!!! If you want to check you can always phone or email corgi.:o

Worldlife
15-04-2006, 15:38 PM
Strangey- I see nothing here to suggest that gizzmo has not employed a qualified Corgi engineer. Isn't illegal to carry out gas repairs or inspections without being properly qualified to do so?

Isn't gizzmo's engineer saying the equivalent of "your car has passed its MOT and therefore I'm issuing the required legal certificate"

He has just put an additional note to say

"Your vehicle does not have ABS, EDL, ASR, MSR or ESP" Great for modern vehicles but not a mandatory requirement to obtain the MOT!

Our Corgi engineer fitted a safety chain as part of his annual inspection prior to issuing the landlord's certificate.

On a personal note for our own home the suppliers of a new range type gas cooker refused to fit it because the outlet was not angled downwards. Our Corgi engineer said this was nonsense and it was perfectly OK to fit a flexible hose with a right angle connector on it - maybe they did not have the correct fitting with them! Oor range at home does not have a safety chain - it's impossible to overturn it!!

dhphoto
17-04-2006, 15:33 PM
We just had British Gas in to check out a boiler at a flat we own prior to putting us on a service contract.

They took one look at the boiler that had received a Landlords Gas Certificate from a 'qualified' Corgi gas fitter only a month before and immediately shut it down with an 'AT RISK' sticker on it.

They described the (Corgi Registered) engineer who passed the boiler as an "007 - licensed to kill"

If we hadn't tried to get the service contract we simply wouldn't have known there was anything wrong, having put our trust and money in a qualified individual.

Worldlife
17-04-2006, 18:39 PM
Report the incident to the Health and Safety Executive.

Either your Corgi engineer should be reprimanded or British Gas are asking for additional works over and above that which is necessary in order to minimise their future maintenance responsibilities.

The only other issue how much time elapsed between the Corgi and the British Gas inspections and could the safety issue had arisen suddenly between these two inspections.

I use registered Corgi engineers because they will attend the property for annual inspection on a timed appointment - something British Gas could not offer.

EliteHeat
18-04-2006, 16:50 PM
I'm a Corgi registered engineer so I had a quick look at this post.

First of all there is no such thing as a "pass" or "fail" for a property via the CP12 certification form. It is simply an assesment of the gas appliances in a property at a perticular time.

The rule of 2 * NCS = At Risk refers to a single appliance which does not seem to be the case here.

What should have happened is that the engineer would have issued a warning notice if anything was in fact in a dangerous state. the CP12 would also have been issued as well, recording the fact that the notice was issued. This effectively means that whoever is in receipt of the notice assumes all responsibility for using the appliance, in the knowledge that it was unsafe or potentially unsafe.

It is worthwhile knowing that no Corgi engineer has the authority to isolate or decommission any gas appliance under any ciircumstances without the owners or responsible persons consent. If this consent is not forthcoming though, he or she will simply call Transco who will immediately disconnect your gas supply - they will always take an RGI's word over yours.

With regard to the comment about the boiler installation, it is always the case that the manufacturers instructions take precedence over Corgis. In fact, Corgi do as much as they can to distance themselves from taking any kind of responsibility at all. Having said that, I find it very hard to believe that any manufacturer stated a safe clearance distance of 150mm.

EliteHeat
18-04-2006, 22:50 PM
THe 150mm figure was an 'off the top of my head' figure - after checking in the manual it is actually 300mm in the manual (oops! - you got me there) and 25mm from the internal corner.

I think half of the problem was the morrisons engineer (who left the notice) was very vague in his note - saying it was "to [sic] close to the gable end/window" is not especially helpful especially not citing the relevant regulations!

Don't believe people, especially when they have a vested interest in making a few quid off you :)

dhphoto
19-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Don't believe people, especially when they have a vested interest in making a few quid off you :)

We have no choice. We HAVE to use Corgi registered fitters and we HAVE to take their word. We can't possibly keep up to date with current gas regulations, that is your job.

james13
28-03-2007, 09:42 AM
as a small landlord i just think this is yet another way of putting hard earned cash [ vat ] into tony blairs pocket
there are many decent plumbers in east london who are NOT corgi registered and can do most of these boilers, gas plumbing work to a high standard
my experience is that the last "corgi" bloke i had employed; lives in edmonton, north london, put in a c/h system and extra radiators and only when i had paid him and approx 6 weeks later did i realise to my cost and inconvenience that he had forgotten to earth the system with 10mm cable AND left one elbow join on a radiator with just flux on it.
in other words when i pressurised the combi boiler [ after air-bleeding some rads ] the join flew off and flooded the basement within minutes. it was a small wonder that the water pressure on the sealed system hadnt leaked before then
so whilst i realise there are a few good corgi registered chaps out there i just think the paper i was issued with is a waste of money

jeffrey
28-03-2007, 10:19 AM
At least you have some recourse if the fitter is CORGI-registered (and presumably insured) as opposed to an unknown worker.