PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and pets

Gadge
06-04-2006, 15:24 PM
Hi I am new to letting so I hope this proves to be a good forum for my many future questions.
I am just about to start letting my 10 flats in Bristol. They are all in the same building on 3 floors.
Am I within my rights to ban smoking throughout the building and to insist on no pets or animals.
I am doing this for 2 reasons. The first is to respect none smokers as smoke does and will waft around the corridors and end up smelling of stale smoke in the corridors, and the other is that I have smoke detectors in all the rooms plus the corridors and landings. I also have a smoke tunnel which opens doors and roof vents in the event of smoke being detected.

Jennifer_M
06-04-2006, 16:00 PM
You can't forbid pets outright as it would be an unfair term (as it would cover goldfish etc.). I believe you can forbid any pet that could cause damage to the property.

As for smoking, you can state in the advert that it's a non smoker property but I'm not sure what recourse you'd have if a tenant smoked anyway. You can of course charge them if the smoke damages the property (wall stained etc.) beyond fair wear and tear.

Paul_f
06-04-2006, 16:41 PM
Err...........have you by any chance contacted your Local Council concerning whether the licensing of the block of flats comes within the jurisdiction of "Houses in Multiple Occupation"? You could be in for an expensive surprise! It became law today!