PDA

View Full Version : Codes of Practice for Landlords or Tenants

Worldlife
04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I know that various Landlord Associations issue Codes of Practice that are only available to their members.

Are there are any Codes of good practice for tenants.

Wonder if some information and relevant quotes or summaries could be posted here.

It should be made quite clear that the objective of this thread is to discuss Codes of Practice and there is no intention to intrude upon the copyright of any publisher of such Codes of Practice.

Jennifer_M
04-04-2006, 10:39 AM
How can you enforce a code of good practice on tenants ? They're not members of the association.

red40
04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I think any codes of practice that is specifically for tenants would be a very good point perhaps for the central government to take up, since most of the Housing law (renting) is totally aimed at landlords.

Jennifer_M
04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Trouble is introducing a government run tenant registry (so you can enforce a code of practice) would fall back on the problems we found with having a website doing the same: data protection, problems with verifying complaints etc.
And with the government it would end up being a bureaucratic mess costing millions with a 3 years waiting list.

davidjohnbutton
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Things I would like to see in a tenants code of practice:-

1. Thou shalt not use they housing benefit or local housing allowance money for any purpose other than paying thy rent except that any excess of LHA may be so used.

2. Thou shalt not trash thy landlords house and then claim it was not thy fault.

3. Thou shalt not take in long term visitors amouting to lodging without the consent of thy landlord.

4. When thy tenancy agreement sayeth "No pets without the landlords permission" that means no animals of any kind, including rats, mice, cockroaches, cage birds, dogs, cats, alligators, lions, tigers, alligators etc. In fact name any animal - without permission - thou SHALT NOT KEEP IT WITHOUT PERMISSION IN THY LANDLORDS HOUSE.

5. Ifst thou hath not paid they rent and thou art in serious arrears - thou shall have the common decency to move out without the landlord having to take legal action.

6. Ifst thou hast legal action taken and thou are repossessed - thou shalt have the decency to either:-
a) Go before the landlord hast to pay another fee for ye olde bayliff OR
b) Not deprive ye landlorde of ye pleasure of seeing ye evicted onto ye street having paid suche fee for ye bayliff to evict ye.

7. Thou shalt not, when faced with a demand for ye rent which ye have not paid - go telltaling to ye local council about repairs which arose yesterday and whiche ye have not given ye landlord fair chance to do!

8. Thou shalt not insist on an emergency plumber at great cost to ye landlord to replace a tap washer at 9 p.m. on a Saturday night!

9. Thou shalt keep the house and garden or yard tidy and if ye are allowed a dog, shall clean up its mess.

10. Ifst thou breakest any of these commandments, thou shalt be taken from this place to the place from whenst you came and thence to a place of execution...........................

davidjohnbutton
04-04-2006, 15:04 PM
The tooth always hurts!!!!! Anyway, no good having one alligator - no babies see!! I also maid lotz of speling mistokes but it is nice to see that you read every word so much so that you picked up my undeliberate mistake.

Worldlife
04-04-2006, 17:45 PM
Liked your ten "commandments" David.

Just a suggestion re

7. Thou shalt not, when faced with a demand for ye rent which ye have not paid - go telltaling to ye local council about repairs which arose yesterday and whiche ye have not given ye landlord fair chance to do!

after the words yesterday insert "or today that aroseth from thy damage or thy neglect"

caroline7758
04-04-2006, 20:50 PM
Getting back to the original question, I know York City Council publish a guide to good practice for student accommodation which has sections for both landlord and tenant. Will see if it's online when I have a minute.

Stel
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Shelter have a good section on tenant resposibility

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-3182.cfm

Energise
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I know that various Landlord Associations issue Codes of Practice that are only available to their members.

Are there are any Codes of good practice for tenants.

Wonder if some information and relevant quotes or summaries could be posted here.

It should be made quite clear that the objective of this thread is to discuss Codes of Practice and there is no intention to intrude upon the copyright of any publisher of such Codes of Practice.

The problem is good tenants don't need one, and bad tenants would just ignore it.