PDA

View Full Version : Ask tenant to leave or continue without AST?



gizzmo
02-04-2006, 18:46 PM
My tenant has been on a 12 month AST which is expiring at the end of April. She has been sporadic with paying rent, constantly in arrears, but now has sorted out housing benefit which gets paid directly to me, and covers about 90% of the rent so I am pretty happy with her at the moment. She has a small arrears building up of the remaining 10% every month.

My initial thought was to give her notice to leave once her tenancy expired as she has been such a hassle prone tenant, but then I thought it might be in both our interests to let the tenancy continue on a month to month basis - as is usually the case when the AST has expired. That would give me the flexibility of only having to give her a month's notice if the HB payments stop. She likes it there and has looked after the property, and I guess although I am 10% short on the rent every month, the additional costs and hassle of finding new tenants etc will far outweigh the small amount that I am short every month from her.

Do you think that I should put this in writing to her - that on expiration of the AST a monthly rolling agreement will stand? I have verbally spoken to her about it and she is in agreement. So do I have to put it in writing, and if so what kind of things do I need to specify?

Alternatively should I just give her notice to leave and look for a more reliable tenant?
Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks

zoe
02-04-2006, 18:56 PM
"That would give me the flexibility of only having to give her a month's notice if the HB payments stop. "

You the LL will have to provide the tenant with 2 months notice, the tenant only need to provide the LL with one months.

Zoe

gizzmo
09-04-2006, 14:47 PM
Thanks Zoe and to those of you who also e-mailed me directly. The info was very helpful.