PDA

View Full Version : Landlord problems

billabong1
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
What is the law regarding major work being carried out on the property you rent ,ie, Dampproofing all downstairs, being unable to use downstairs at all , during this time .
Does the landlord have to find you alternative accomodation?
Do you still have to pay rent during this major work ?
How long should you have to wait for cooking facilities to be sorted out?
How long for the centrel heating boiler to be fixed ?
Thank

Worldlife
01-04-2006, 11:19 AM
See 'Shelter' Disruption and Poor Work (http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4082.cfm#wipLive-13075-3)

P.Pilcher
01-04-2006, 13:45 PM
Being aware of all this when I had to damproof a downstairs recently I served the tenant with an S21 and when he left (amicably) had the work done. I decided not to have him back because he was a bit of a "knowall" and I didn't really want the trouble of having to fight a court action for compensation. Job now done and new tenant in place. Cost to me three months rent, agency tenant finding fee and the building work. - Not cheap but probbly less expensive than keeping former tenant on.

For the reasons stated above, keeping a tenant on in such circumstances is a nightmare. The builders invariably delay, all ground floor rooms including kitchen and maybe bathroom are unusable while the work is in progress, there are huge quantities of dust to cope with and then there is re-decoration to contend with as well.

P.P.

Jonboy
01-04-2006, 23:44 PM
agency tenant finding fee so you do use agents then p.p.

:) we not all that bad after all then :)

Worldlife
02-04-2006, 03:31 AM
You actually get good tenants if you just pay an introduction fee!!

I though the agents kept the best tenants for their clients paying the full management fees :D

mjpl
02-04-2006, 08:26 AM
What is the law regarding major work being carried out on the property you rent ,ie, Dampproofing all downstairs, being unable to use downstairs at all , during this time .

Your property needs to be fit and safe. Your contract with the Landlord should also detail what happens in such a situation.

Does the landlord have to find you alternative accomodation?

No. However, if the property is uninhabitable, he cannot expect you to pay rent for the period that works are carried out.

Do you still have to pay rent during this major work ?

As above.

How long should you have to wait for cooking facilities to be sorted out?

There is no actual answer to this question. The answer in simply terms is very quickly and the Landlord needs to demonstrate that every possible step was taken to have the works completed in a timely fashion. This would not include for example shopping around for a good quote.

How long for the centrel heating boiler to be fixed ?

As above